Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Can you hunt whitetail deer that are crossing the road?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

As long as you don't shoot across, shoot from the road, or shoot on the road, you can.

• 1 month ago

As long as its following the chicken

• 1 month ago

Many states have a law that says you can not hunt from the road.    So you have a real problem if you are standing on the road.   If you are off the road and the deer is on the road then you got an issue of shooting at an uphill angle in most cases.   Is your purpose just to shoot the deer or do you want to do it in a sportsmanlike manner?   IMHO to keep it sporting I go off the road and into the woods looking for the deer.  

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the state that I live in, it is illegal to shoot across a public roadway.  I guess you can hunt them, as long as you don't shoot them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

In my State (La.) it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 100yd of a road, right of way or navigable water way.

Check your laws. I'm sure there is something similar although I don't find it mentioned in the hunting regulations.

I learned it from a LEO who answered a complaint against my target practice off season

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have never thought it was safe to shoot down a road. There is a good

chance someone would step out of the woods and you could hit them.

Just my rule, legal, I don't know.

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No ................................

• BBean
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why do you need to hunt something that is right before your very eyes, Anonny? Deer do not usually hang out in the road. Only a second and one half to leap across a 4 lane highway.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

All state laws vary, but I don't think any state would allow you to shoot any animal (with a rifle or a bow) that's on a public road. There are laws about how far away you have to be from a road to shoot an animal.

• donnie
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Just don’t hit it with your car. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.