Is it ok to put in a one week notice? ?

I feel bad but my new job wants me to start next Monday 

• Favourite answer

Unless you're contracted to work 2 weeks notice, it's not bad at least you're giving them some notice.

hey it is what it is. just give them the one week notice and tlel them you wish you could do two but the offer arose and they need you in one week. its not personal its business baby

It's customary, but not mandatory. to give two weeks' notice as a courtesy to your employer. Many give less or none.

• Rick

the two week notice is just a courtesy, not a requirement.

If you already have a new job, I would not worry about the one-week notice. Go ahead and do that. 

Source(s): worked in HR for 31 years

Offering 2 weeks is common courtesy. Your old company may not need it but its good to offer it.  Nearly all companies will allow you to work a 2 week notice because they would want one when you leave them.

But legally you can just stop showing up.  It would be considered burning a bridge and you should not expect a good reference if you leave them high & dry.

In the US, there is no law saying you have to give any notice.  It is courtesy and could hurt you in the future if you need them as a reference.  That is about all.

I also question any company which is pushing you hard to start in less than two weeks.  To me, that says everything is about them and their needs.  They should absolutely understand if you say you are important to your last company, you respect them and you need to give them 2 weeks notice just as they would expect if you were leaving.  If they don't understand this, then good luck during your employment whenever you need a day off but it doesn't fit into their needs.

Ok in what way.  There isn't exactly a law on this subject.  It is considered professional to provide two weeks notice so that your employer has some time to find a replacement.  Your new employer should also be understand of this because they would want the same treatment if someone left them.

That said, you. can walk out at any time without a word, just don't expect to get a good reference from the employer if you do.  

• A.J.

There is no legal notice requirement about firing or quitting. It's a courtesy to allow for preparation. If they need you so much, they would pay you more. 

• Good

At least they are getting a notice.

How much notice does a person get

when they are fired?  I have no loyalty

to a company because of how most of

them treat their people.

.l