Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Are most civilian owned assault weapons used for hunting or other  purposes?

First off, the AR-15 and civilian AK-47 are not assault weapons. They do not have full auto or selective fire capabilities like military versions of rifles do. Most are owned for home defense and recreational shooting. Quite a few are used for non-game hunting like feral hogs and coyotes. The AR-10 is legal for game hunting wherever there is not a shotgun or bow only restriction. 

What are these "assault weapons" of which you speak?

• Phil

Assault weapons (fully automatic as what a "Assault weapon" is defined as) is not legal for hunting.  And they are used for other purposes. Every one of them. . . .fun.

Semi-automatic firearms with cosmetic features that make them look like "assault weapons" are quite often used for hunting.

If you actually knew anything about hunting or firearms, you would know this.

Stop believing everything you are told and read a book once in a while.

Where I live (NY) we are allowed to use a .223 for deer hunting.

I have a very nice assault rifle, in fact I have two. One has a scope

and one has iron sights. They are very useful assault rifles.

• JOHN B

A civilian cannot own a military assault weapon without a permit or license investigated and registered by and with the FBI and BATF.

They can own a rifle that is a cosmetic copy of one. I call it a "Defense Weapon".

Target shooting is one main use,    the 223 is not legal for most of the big game in the USA.  

Modern sporting rifles can be used for hunting. Mostly just target shooting and competition. But many have them for personal protection.

• Mr.357

I live in a free state and there is nothing defined as an assault weapon.  Sorry I can't answer your question.