what’s wrong with my craftsman riding mower?

my ridingmower wasn’t used for about a month because it was raining here in houston and now when i try to use it i hear a rapid paced clicking sound. the battery is new. what’s wrong with my mower 

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Carry on to garden.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

These batteries are notorious for going dead in no time. Purchase a trickle charger on Amazon for $15 and leave it hooked up when mower isn't being used.

• 1 month ago

you need to recharge the battery after a month of no charging.  not unusual.  check voltage -- if it is 12 volts, a trickle charger overnight intended for a car will do the job

• 1 month ago

The rapid clicking sounds like the solenoid is trying to engage the starter without success.  Often due to a low battery but there can be other causes, including poor connections, dodgy wiring, faulty starter and so on.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Did you take the plastic covers off the battery terminals prior to connection?

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

sounds you know a lot about moving wet grass dont you ..think about it and read the manual on wet grass .

• 2 months ago

Could be a lot of things:

Piston return springs

Muffler bearing

Johnson gasket

Bumper valves

Turbo brake

Battery filter

Catalytic inverter

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Battery is new but is not charged? ...OR Battery clamps were not clean and put on clean shiny posts and clamped  hard...OR the connection at the starter motor is corroded (white or greenish build up- it needs to be clean) AND THAT IS ABOUT IT.

If you have a battery charger that stuffs out 10Amp then clamp it on and go make a coffee.  It almost has a full charge but needs a bit more.

. 1 garage sale battery charger that does 6 or 12 volt with 10 amps has been used 100 times. Very useful tool for 5 bucks.  Works on cars, motorcycles, boats, planes,..where ever there is a lead acid battery.

. It could be new, but old stock at the same time.  If it is easier, take the battery back to the store and show them your receipt.  Batteries do go flat just sitting on the shelf.  The battery is new when they have to put acid in the battery and charge it up. There is no acid in a brand new battery...also it is not charged up.  That is all you are buying - they put in new acid and they charge it up. Takes maybe an hour.

• 2 months ago

The batt needs charging or you need to clean the connections

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Charge the battery. New or not it needs to be kept charged.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.