If I had my house since 2001 when in 2020 should I get it’s wiring replaced?

The house I’m in was new since 2001 and now it’s the year 2020 should I get every bit of wiring replaced? every time a vacuum gets turned on my lights keep flickering. Also the lights like my bedroom light keeps making a buzzing sound when it’s on and  it also flickers on and off a lot to but luckily I don’t use it anymore.

It's unlikely the wiring would need replacing simply due to its age, it's not that old. You are having issues though, and I agree that an inspection by a professional electrician is on the cards.  Try to get one who comes recommended by people you know.

• L

Before having it rewired - hire an electrician to check everything out.

I have a condo built in 1990. The original wiring should out live your children.

If individual circuits in your house are having issues, you need an electrician to find out the problem. Based on the symptoms you describe, I am not confident the wiring is even a contributing factor.

19 years is not old for house wiring. Indeed, if you are getting all sorts of silly problems, get it inspected by a fully qualified professional.

no way it has many years left 

• CB

My house was built in '78 with a Federal Pacific breaker box. I have been here since 2000, haven't changed a thing but I SHOULD replace the breaker box as they are kind of a fire hazard as the breakers don't always break as they should.

Nah, mine dates back 120 years and it is still fine.   What you are describing sounds more like neon tube lights (such as used in schools or stores)  Incandescent don't make that kind of noise and CFL just die.  The flickering shows that the wall outlet is connected to the lights. (it was wired incorrectly) for the outlets connect to other outlets and never to lights.  That is the wiring code.   So the flickering lights sense the electric motor of the vacuum cleaner.

• Ann

Have a licensed electrician come and check the wiring in your house.  Your breaker box may need to be upgraded.  Also, have him check to see whether you have copper or aluminum wiring throughout your house.  If it's aluminum, you might have to have everything pigtailed with copper.

• Droopy

You mean you have don't it already?   suppose to every 3 years.

heres your sign 

Source(s): Come on man

presumable, the wiring passed code in 2001 and thus is perfectly safe and should be in excellent condition.  the vac causing flickering is either because you've something else drawing a lot of power on that circuit, or due to an electrical problem in the vac's starter system.  and replacing those light bulbs should solve the buzzing.  -- granddad