Any photographers out there? ?

I’m taking classes to get my bachelors in fine art to become a photographer. Any tips or recommendation? Are weddings fun? What is it like to have a photography business? Thank you 

As someone already said, the best thing you can do is put together a good strong portfolio. In crass terms that means what have you done lately. Showing and presenting your work will go a much longer way many times then trying to get and maintain a job/career in this field.

I don't want to discourage you from doing photography if that's what you love. But definitely the work of photography and many other media related skills is in having a good portfolio to show people so that you have a good chance of landing a client, a gig, a job.

At this moment I'm distracted on Yahoo Answers but I'm actually about to go thru my photos and put some good ones together as a portfolio online so I can send it to someone who requested to see my work.

But yeah, without going to long, by all means do some free work &/or cheap work; such as parties, get togethers, birthdays, holidays are coming up so people will be having events. Get in where you fit in. If your attitude, demeanor and way you operate is professional people quickly get use to a photographer with a camera in the room. You might find that at the end of an event people ask you if they can get the pictures you took.

But whether you do free gigs, freelance(actually agree to photograph and be paid), or you want to go for a job in the the field; your portfolio will speak the loudest for you. I don't know what your degree is but if you pick up some video editing skill, animation skill or 3D skill all those will help you to market yourself and what you do. People also do use the social media sites to advertise themselves also: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snap Chat ect. so consider that also.

Source(s): Learning the hard ways since about 2000

Weddings, especially, are events which test your 'people skills' to the limit. Emotions within and between families run high on wedding days.  But they can also be fun - to some extent you can help to make the fun.  'Sumi' reminds us that wedding photography is seldom 'fine art'!

Having a photography business is like any other service business - you have to persuade people that it is worth employing you, that you have that USP, that sparkle, which can give them that extra something.

USP = Unique Selling Point.

I tend to agree with Sumi that photography might not be the big money-maker in your life.

• Sumi

My best advise is to drop out and get a degree in something that will allow you to make a living because photography as a career is dead.  Fine art photography and commercial work are the only two photography genres that I'd say a degree might be helpful, but you're asking about weddings which is not fine art.

There's nothing in your classes that you can't learn for free off of YouTube or internet sites like Kelbyone.com.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't put yourself into debt just to have a worthless piece of paper.  No one cares about your degree(s).  Your portfolio, and only your portfolio is what matters.  Anyone with a great portfolio and zero college experience will get hired over someone with 10 degrees and a so-so portfolio.  I speak from experience.  I wish that someone had given me this advise before I wasted my time getting my BS in photojournalism.

Major in a field of study that interests you or that will useful as a photography studio owner such as marketing and/or business.  Minor in fine art or photography instead of majoring in it.

I've done a few dozen weddings and one thing is certain: they are not fun!  They are stressful situations especially when one considers the importance of the day.

I would also strongly recommend that while in school that you get an internship with a photographer that does the kinds of photos that interest you.  With that experience, you'll build network contacts and get an intimate understanding of what it's like to be a pro and run a business.

You know the difference between a photographer and a large pizza?  A large pizza can feed a family.

• keerok

Advice? Switch fields now. Today, everyone has a camera (in their phone). Most people don't pay photographers to get their pictures done already.