Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Realistically, how long do you think a well maintained Colt M1911 .45 last?

I bought mine around 30 years ago. I was manufactured in 1947. I bought it as military surplus. And I've only replaced the grips with modern wood. Yes, I have the original Bakelite grips and all original manuals, box and cleaning kit issued during that era. It was my longtime carry until I got a LEO job. Nothing has been replaced and I run 500 rounds through it every month.

More or less forever if it is well maintained.

Depends on how many shots not how long or old it is might have to revamp the trigger mechanism or get a new barrel but the frame should be good for a long, long, long, long time....

Well cared for maybe several life times which is what quality is all about...

N.Shadows

• Rick

mine is 20 years old and still works like it's new ..............

• Troy

Just treat it well, and don't shoot hot shots or novel material through it. Clean it properly after each time and keep it stored without moisture. 500 rds per month is a lot of ammo. You must really like shooting it. I don't shoot that many unless I am practicing shooting moving targets like skeet or swinging plates. 

Several lifetimes.

• Bill

It’ll last a very long time.  I’m surprised the recoil spring has not needed replacing.