Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

abandoned property?

6 weeks ago i had handyman repairing something in my house, he left his electric tool behind. I texted him straightaway he said he would collect it on Saturday but didn't 6 weeks later (yesterday) i was told he turned up for it but noone was at home.  No calls or text from him within 6 weeks.    Isn't then his tool regarded as lost property ?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Abandoned property is an asset that has been turned over to the state after several years of inactivity. State laws determine when an asset is legally considered abandoned—deadlines vary, though usually property must be unclaimed for at least two years to qualify

• car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You send me a letter certified mail with return receipt that says he has 60 days to pick up his property or you will sell his tool.    And, he can call or text you to make an appointment to pick it up.

Why is the electric tool bothering you so much?    You don't like this guy?   Or what?

• 1 month ago

It is not lost and not abandoned and you know it.  He came when it was convenient, hoping you would be home.  Text him and arrange a mutually convenient time for him to pick it up.

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

give the tools to the police , if he doesnt collect them then you have a claim after 6 months ..Police lost property should help you , just give them the tools and hes number .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Not yet. You have to make a concerted effort to return this property to the contractor. You don't get to "claim it" based on time. So far, you haven't made any effort that you've admitted to. If you don't, you can be charged with theft. 

• 1 month ago

No, it is not. You have not followed all of the legal steps required to have property declared as abandoned. Research the law for your state. Notice in writing with a hard deadline may be required, and text/email MAY not meet the requirement.

• 1 month ago

why did he leave so long to collect it ?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's not lost.   There is no dispute about where it is and who owns it.

Any reasonably ethical and polite adult would have called him after he tried to pick it up to arrange a day and time that works for both parties. 

Laws regarding abandoned property vary by location and you didn't bother to tell us where you are.

• 1 month ago

It's not 'lost' as you both know exactly whose it is. 

Advise him (in writing - email would be fine) that he needs to collect it within # working days (check laws wherever in the world you are), and that he'll need to arrange a mutually convenient time to do so; otherwise you'll dispose of it. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It varies by state and can be up until 60 days.  His failed effort to retrieve the property starts the clock over again.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.