Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

Why did Prince Charles, at age 32 and still a bachelor, decide to marry a young woman 13 years younger than him whom he did not love?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Because he needed a baby machine. Camilla had been passed around like an old newspaper so was not considered Queen material. 

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He was pressured into the marriage.  It was time for him to produce an heir to keep the royal line going, so Prince William and then Prince Harry (the heir and a spare) were born.

• Jade
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Because No Older Woman wanted him.

• 1 month ago

The sad thing about that marriage is Charles didn't do the deciding.  He'd already decided he wanted to marry Camilla, which was out of the question.  

I believe he just pretty much gave up especially after Camilla moved on (noting marriage to Charles wasn't going to happen) and married Parker Bowles.   After all Diana was a good looking girl and if marriage to her made life simpler, for him, why not.   Obviously the Queen Mother and Mountbatten, who Charles respected and listened to most of all, were happy for that arranged marriage.   I don't think people always understand what being the heir to the British Throne and the need to produce the next generation, really meant.   I don't think it was about Diana being a virgin, as much as not having any 'baggage' to bring to the marriage.

I think, ultimately, Charles did have some love for Diana, but he certainly was never 'in love' with her -   note his 'whatever love is' response during the engagement interview.  I think that quite shocked the naive Diana at the time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Because of Prince Andrew. It was vitally important that Prince Charles had heirs. 

• 1 month ago

So the world could meet Serena

• 1 month ago

to knock her up and produce offsprings

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

To create that "heir and a spare" all Princes/Kings are called to do. 

• Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A certain anonymous poster keeps asking the same questions over and over---it appears that the anonymuncle is at it yet again.

Charles was concerned about fulfilling his royal duties, which meant marrying and having heirs. Diana appeared to be the right sort of woman. She presented herself as a country-loving woman, sharing Charles' interests. Charles did grow to love Diana, but Diana had serious issues with trust, caused by her parents' contentious separation where Frances was not allowed to contact her children to let them know what was happening.

There weren't many virginal women who wanted the job as Princess of Wales, future Queen Consort of the UK. Diana appeared to be the perfect woman. Charles was willing to give the marriage a try, to give it five years to build.

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Good publicity.     

• 1 month ago

He needed to marry someone of high status, who could give him children and was a virgin.  I think after that mess, the Royals have eased up a bit and they seem to be marrying for love now rather than duty. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.