Are BB guns good to have for protection?

Of course anyone needs to do research before getting it but I want to know would a BB gun be good if you want to protect yourself from intruders but not kill anyone 

No, they are far too weak for self-defense. They will only irritate a human,

• Robin

My 8 gauge is loaded with 2.5 oz of BBs 

• Yes, they protect you from Mexican chihuahuas walking up and dog the street thinking the own the ******* block. Shoot them mutts in the ***!

I know a lot of people on here are telling you to get  "real "gun, and I agree. If you are a legal, law abiding US citizen, go get one. If you're not, and your only option is a bb gun, then that is better than nothing. Sure, it is NOT going to "stop" anyone, but it will certainly slow them down enough so that you may be able to slide around them and get out of the house if there is only one intruder. There is a Crosman air pistol that is full auto, and I think it holds 20 or 30 bb's. I don't know about you, but I'm positive I don't want to be sprayed in my face with 20 or 30 .177 caliber bb's traveling at 400 feet per second from someone standing 10 feet in front of me. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use deadly force though? When someone has made the decision to unlawfully enter my house for any reason, my thoughts are that they know there are approximately 120 million gun owners in the US. They should know that the odds are pretty good that they will met by a homeowner with a gun. Therefore, they are knowingly risking their life by trespassing / breaking and entering.  If they are willing to risk their own life in such a manner, they obviously don't have much regard for my life, and I will not hesitate for one moment to pull the trigger if you are inside of my house. But, if you cant pull the trigger, then don't buy a gun. Buy a rope ladder or come up with an escape plan, and accept the fact that you will be either a statistic, or a victim. I choose to be neither. Good luck and stay safe.

• Quinn

No, a BB gun is not going to protect you from an intruder breaking into your home. Not even close.

If your first priority is not killing the intruder instead of the safety of your family and your life, then you would be better off handing everything to the intruder and hope he isn't a psycho, on drugs, wanted by the police and decide to kill you anyways so not to leave any witnesses.

To defend yourself, you HAVE to be willing to go all the way. Even if you have a gun, you cannot operate from the assumption that you are just going to scare them off because if they decide to shoot it out, you are dead.

If you are going to defend, then you must be willing and able to do whatever it takes. If you are not willing to do whatever it takes, then why bother?

• Mr.357

You shouldn't be running around shooting people unless you need to stop them and a bb gun won't stop most people.  If you are being intruded upon by cock roaches, a bb gun might be good enough.

You BB gun might get you killed. Someone might mistake it for a real firearm and shoot you with a real firearm.  Police officers have shot folks pointing BB guns at them.

If the goal is to confuse someone into running away it might work so long as you didn't actually fire it and they didn't get a good look at it. A regular gun with blanks would do better.

You scenario is that someone has intruded in your home and you want to shoot them with a BB gun.  No, a BB gun is not a good option.  You should assume that an intruder intends to do you bodily harm.  You can choose to escape (run) or you can choose to stand & fight.  You can choose non-lethal options like pepper spray or a baseball bat.  But why?  The intruder may have weapons of his own, including a firearm.  And there may be more than one intruder.  And who else is in your home that you need to protect?  Think very carefully about possible scenarios, then decide what is your best weapon for protection.

• Rick

sure, IF you're attacked by squirrels .....................