Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

If religion is so great, why do theocracies suck so bad?

Anon, I'll tread on whatever I want

Faith is great. Organised religion less so.

There are no theocracies.

Are you living in cloud cookoo land?

I disagree with both statements - that religion is great and that theocracies suck.

Religion is a bunch of people believing in nonsense and creating elaborate rituals to express that belief.  However, theocracies are generally a very deontological society, meaning that they have clear rules and expectations.  They tend to be very orderly and have low crime rates.  The problem is if you do not agree with the rules or religion, in which case they can go south really fast and be just another tyranny.

• Wundt

Theocracies is just another authoritarian form of government, similar to Dictatorships, Oligarchies or Absolute Monarchies, the difference being that they claim their "right to power" comes from God (though, dictators and monarchs often make the same claim).  Authoritarian economies usually fail because most of them are also kleptocracies, where most of the county's wealth is syphoned off by those in power, resulting in poverty, famine, and ecological disaster.  

There is no theocracy on Earth. Oh yes, you've got Islamic nations claiming they have theocracy, but it ain't necessarily so. That only shows that what they think is 'theocracy' is nothing like what God says is His rule as Sovereign. There is theocracy in Heaven - rule of God - but the time for seeing that removing all man-made government is still in the future. Therefore, you can only ask why man-made ideas about 'theocracy' suck so bad, and the answer lies in the fact that they are man-made ideas.

A theocracy: when government is ruled by people of God.

Since there is only one God those who do NOT serve him cannot be counted. Those are the ones that 'suck so bad'. I'll explain shortly.

Judaism was the first religion to claim that there was only one God who demanded that sex was a sacred act to be confined within a marriage between a man and a woman. This flew in the face of polytheistic nations who worshipped multiple gods, including gods of sex. 

At the time public orgies were the norm. Phallic symbols carved or painted in and on buildings were used for luck, prosperity and vitality. Temples and statues were built to worship these gods and goddesses of sex. Male and female temple prostitutes availed themselves 24/7 to serve the public.

But the Jews claimed that sex should be the ultimate expression of intimacy that ALREADY exists within the relationship. A mystery. Two becoming one flesh. It was never meant to be just another form of entertainment or for stress relief. As a former sex addict I testify: like any addiction the cravings constantly increase while the level of satisfaction constantly decreases.

When people follow Jesus the first thing you want to do is to get rid of all the other 'gods' and idols you had been worshipping before him. You see them for what they are: a lie.

When the nations started to follow this Jesus, they viewed sex as the beautiful act of love-making that it was always meant to be. Scripture tells Christian couples to submit their bodies to each other for sex as much as each desires - and never stop. (Unless by mutual consent, and only for a short time.) This ordinance was given to stop any chance of lust outside of the marriage. Even THINKING about having sex with someone other than your spouse is considered adultery according to Jesus.

As the hearts of the people changed, so did their actions. The pilgrims who escaped persecution in Europe brought those 'puritan' ways to the west. Families create communities. Communities make up society.

The very foundations of our society have been eroded by the re-introduction of those gods-of-sex. Sourced in hell (otherwise known as 'Hollywood').  

Don't get me wrong. I was part of the problem: a former stripper and sex addict. Shamefully I don't even recall the number of lovers I had. So I'm not here to wag a finger at anyone. I've been joyfully chaste for over a decade, and wish for you to know this: orgasm is only a HINT of what it's like to be with God.

There is only one God, and there are dark forces at work in the world and IN YOU... trying to keep you from the knowledge of His amazing love. But ultimately it's your choice on whether you want to know him or not.... those dark forces (that are trying to keep you stupid) do not have the power to keep you from seeking God if you really REALLY want to know him.

If not, I bid you good luck with your choice.

Religion is concerned with man's relationship with the Almighty . Governments  are concerned with  peoples  interse  relationship and protection of their rights in the material world..W e should not mix these two things as people have their right to believe according to their lights and State should not favor one religion over the other

All governments suck, especially the political utopias. Look at the Commie atheist USSR.

• dumb

Beats me. Seems like most governments can be pretty scandalous, corrupt, and stupid. 

• Noddy

When Christianity enjoyed a theocracy there was a reign of terror for a thousand years when terrible atrocities were committed against minorities..it only ended with the advent of democratically elected secular governments..