Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Tricky medical record question help!?

I know that this is all unconventional, but I’d like to know from someone with experience in the medical field. I am a nanny for a family that are doctors. I have been prescribed medication from this family for the flu in the past without making an appointment with them, so I don’t think I’m in their system or that I gave her access rights to my records, but I’m not sure. The family is offiliated with a hospital that I may be going to see for some medical tests. I do not yet know what the results are going to be (good or bad) but if I see a doctor that also works in the same practice, is the family I nanny for going to have access to my results? (This is more of a personal privacy issue that I am concerned about.) thanks!

I am in US, they aren’t coordinating in my care, I just planned to see the one doctor for blood work and other testing (not the family I worked for) but are they able to legally look up my records without my permission if in same practice? 

• kelvin

unless you give the new doctor written permission allowing them to see that information the answer is a huge gigantic no

• Tavy

Why would they look up your records if you do not tell them you are going for treatment?

Legally no if the family is not a treating doc you have a doctor-patient relationship with which doesn’t sound like it. Do accessing your records would be a HIPAA violation

You don't say what country you're in, so it's pretty hard to answer. If it's in the US, then records can be generally shared between providers at the same facility without violating HIPAA if they're coordinating in your care.