Cat spilled water on MacBook Pro?

My cat spilled a full cup of water on my MacBook Pro (whatever the latest model is) I’m guessing the water was on it for around 20 seconds to a couple of minutes by the time I saw it. I dried the laptop to the best of my ability and now the screen is laying on a paper towel face down with the keyboard part at a right angle off the table facing the floor. What do I do now? I heard I can’t use metal screwdrivers to open the laptop but I don’t know where to get non metal screws. Please help

Also I turned my laptop off immediately and it isn’t plugged into anything 

• Mark P

Why did you have water near your laptop.Water doesn't go well with PC,s laptops phones.Its good to drink though.

So you put an open cup of water near a laptop, knowing cats knock stuff over. good job

The good old "The cat spilled water on my Mac pro" happens so often" The poor cat can't catch a break..

"your cat spilled" is BS.  YOU placed the water near your laptop -- it is YOUR fault.  Even if the laptop hasn't been destroyed, your behaviors are what leads to the next and very similar 'accident'.  Do NOT open the laptop.  If, after three days, it won't start, take it to a repair technician and pay what is necessary to find out what needs doing to fix it.  The pain of the payment and repair will remind you to keep ALL liquids AWAY from your laptop. -- grampa

• keerok

Dispose the cat, bring the mac to the service center.

No need to open it up at this stage. Just remove the battery and place the laptop, fully open and face down , in the airing cupboard or other place which is dry and warm for several days. Hopefully any remaining water will drip out and it will dry. 

Go to the nearest hardware store. Purchase a rubber mallet, a blow torch, and some crystal meth. Melt the computer and pound the paste into the floor. Get high on the meth and shove an ethernet cable into your anus, and now you ARE the computer

• David

You heard wrong, however you may need  a special metal  pentalobe or torx screwdriver (available on line) depending on the model.

Remove the bottom cover, ideally disconnect the battery. Let it dry in a warm place such as an airing cupboard (or some other form of gentle heat) for several days. Reconnect the battery and then see if it will power up.

If it won’t boot or has a problem there isn’t much else you can try  - You would need to take it to a workshop, specialising in liquid damage. An Apple store will only offer a refurb or try to sell you a new model, they don’t repair liquid damage MBPs