OogieBoogie asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Has anyone used any specific crates in an SUV?

Hello, I am currently looking at my options to fit, hopefully, two dogs into the trunk of an SUV. The goal is to give both the trunk.

I have seen a few different things, most commonly, I have noticed people use two separate plastic crates. Although I like the idea, our two dogs are too big, I think. My dog is 50lbs fit and the other dog is 70ish lbs. I highly doubt i can make that work. 

Itll be a 2013 Ford Escape.

Has anyone tried the TransK9 crate? It looks slanted to fit a trunk and fit two dogs, but I dont know anybody who owns one and would like to know if they work, before I for out the money.

My other thought, what would the average cost be to see a welder and have one custom made? Would it be cheaper? 'Cause then that way, it could be custom build to fit the trunk while utilizing all of the space.

I am not sure.

What do you guys use?

My other idea is to attach the two crates together, with heavy duty clips, and then use 2 ratchet straps and strap the crates down

Ive not asked this specific question before. Car safety isnt taught in any canine related schools.

So, yahoo cant make up its mind then. Do you guys say crates or no crates?

You guys drilled me last time for wanting to use a car harness when we had the small car.

See, now I miss comments. I cant address people individually. Yes, we have a deal we cant turn down in regards to the Ford, we have to take it or not drive at all.

My friend helping us get it, said she had one years back and has told me that I will only be able to fit 1 dog crate in the back, sideways. This can work, because we also have a crash tested harness. So the dog that lays flat in the car will be using the car harness, and the other dog, who likes to readjust frequently will be using 

a crate, with a bed, strapped securely in the back.

Everyone ive ever seen in dog groups for sport, uses plastic crates. I want to use wire personally, but a heavy duty one. I have one I paid almost $200 for new. Really thick metal and doesnt fold easily at all

Ninefinger, thank you for being so helpful and understanding what I am doing! Id be happy to talk with you when it comes. We do have to take this vehicle, but I will figure out how to set it up. Bare minimum, my 1 dog will be in the back.

Im gonna reply to Anon in my answers to make this easier. Look for it

GREAT QUESTION! We actually used to buy our vans/SUV's based on if they can take two crates(for Dobermens) side by side. Or one in back and one horizontally to the rear door(rear seats folded down/removed). The old square Jeep Cherokee used to work perfectly. But switched to full sized vans when my wifes business started to take off. Now we use a full size custom bus. Built to her specs. You really have to take the crates WITH YOU and measure or physically place them in to see if they fit.

I have never seen the Trans crate. And the wife is away on business so I cannot ask her. One thing you should NOT do. Is use those gate type barrier thingys. There is no protection and the dogs WILL get hurt if you have to brake suddenly. Most definitely strap the crates down AND together with simple locking belt straps. Seperate crates is a better idea. Especially if you take longer trips. They have their own "space". Crate pads are a must. And my recommendation is use the metal crates. Better vision and ventilation. Not the Vari-Kennel crates. The square design of the metal crates utilizes spaces more efficiently. No bones, water bowls ect in the crates. Because they can become projectiles if you have to stop quickly. And can injure the dogs. A simple blanket over the crates gives them a sense of "space". 

Making a new crate is not a good idea. It will not be portable unless you plan on making it permenant. If you have more questions just update your post.

Update- after doing a bit of research on the Transk9 crate. Honestly,  nice design but it looks permanent and very heavy. No ventilation and the rearview vision would be obstructed. And the solid steel construction turns me off.

Alrighty Anon! So, you are saying that you have answered this "Every time" I have asked.

This is my initial question, which I got hell for regarding seatbelts:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

Heres my second question, where I mention crates but am more specifically, asking how to set the vehicle up for my dogs:

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

Although I understand you're doing what you're taught, don't lie and dont be a dick. I am glad you understand how Autism works, so you understand why I am hyperfocused on this! I don't know how you learned to train, I did a lot of training under trainers. I learned hands on. I dont train anymore, long story. 

I have never, in my life, heard of schools and education centers solely telling people to use seatbelts. Although I like them, and do use them, I think they both work.

I am also curious, why do you answer in Anon? 

As I've explained to you every time you've asked this - and I do understand autism - crated dogs in the back of an SUV are DANGEROUS in the event of an accident.  You probably wouldn't like to pick up their remains after you are rearended or there is some other catastrophe.

You're a professional dog trainer.  What did you learn on the subject when you were in school?

I was taught (and shown examples) of why dogs should be trained to wear specially constructed seat belts and NOT be placed in hatches and/or trunks in crates.

I don't know what "50 pounds fit" is.  My dog is 120 pounds, fit or not fit.

They make barriers to put between the front of the vehicle from the back area.  You can just tether them in the back & the barrier will keep them in the back.  Turn the back area the large crate.

I don't know much about using crates cause I have never used them & I have had lots & lots & lots of dog & never had the need for a crate.  Only in my grooming did I cage dogs but only if they didn't get along with the other dogs there to be groomed.

I am sorry to say I do not like your vehicle choice (per the dog transport).  I could not comment on the current Ford quality or this model's reviews.  The second seats DO NOT fold down FLAT - which really cuts down your cargo space UNLESS you BUILD a platform to level out the crate area.  Some dog people do build wood platforms to get up OVER the narrow wheel wells but in your case (with no fold-down tail gate for the dogs to jump to -> going to from the elevated crates)  it would be difficult (other than a RAMP) to get the dogs up that high.

Too bad you are not looking at a vehicle that either has the seats come out of it (entirely) or FOLD DOWN completely flat into the floor.  I have owned 60-80 lbs dogs for 40 years, so I have looked at and bought all vehicles based on their needs.  (never needed a platform or a van).  Nobody is going to weld crates cheaper than you can buy them...provided somebody makes a model that fits.  

You are making this so much harder - by swimming against the current, but hey maybe you've got a deal you can't pass up on the Ford.  IMO, you'd better be sure it won't be more difficult or $$ to get crates that "fit" and to make things SAFE (level) than buying a different model.  

And NO, I would NEVER use plastic crates - they have LOUSY ventilation in a warm or hot vehicle, have (plastic PROTRUDING side seams where the top & bottom screw together) & you CANNOT SEE THROUGH THEM!  (NOBODY and I mean, NOBODY at dog shows, obedience trials, field trials or tracking tests uses plastic crates in cars or SUV for their dogs!!!)