I have a bachelor's in psychology. Can I work/ move to England somehow?

I have a bachelor's in psychology but if that's not enough I heard that social workers are on the job shortage list. If I went to England to study a master's in social work, would that increase my likelihood of being able to work in England?

Thanks for any help!


Oh and I'm American

3 Answers

  • Expat
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

    Hi, I live and work abroad in Japan, but I did my MA in Australia and my PhD in England, so I think I can offer some insight into both the study and working abroad topics. 

    Getting a work visa is possible and it will improve your chances of gaining a work visa in the UK if you study in the UK, but it really comes down to you filling a need that cannot readily be filled by a citizen. Graduate school really does help because it increases your uniqueness and the ability to have you categorized as "needed" and "special" making you an acceptable candidate to gain a visa. You'd likely need whoever you worked for to sponsor your visa, but that would be something you would try to set in motion while studying, or at least learn from expats there doing what you want to do and how they did it. 

    Good luck! 

  • 1 month ago

    There are no Post-Study Work visas for UK. If you go there to study, you MUST return to your country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. No, with a new MSW degree, you do NOT qualify to work in UK. You failed to check UK's shortage list of occupations, including complete details of requirements to qualify. 

  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Trying to immigrate to a country by getting student visa is not a good idea.  You will be required by law to leave The U.K. once you finish your studies. 


Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.