Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

When you order something online, how come there isn’t an option to leave your stuff at a post office location?

OK so I ordered a mask that I really want it from somewhere online a long time ago and I hadn’t received it, so when I reached out to them again they claimed that it was delivered on 6 October. I never got it, so apparently the US post office just left it at the door and allow it to get stolen in someway. I think that today’s system is pretty dumb to do that, why wouldn’t they have sense enough to hold onto it and try to contact the person by phone or something and let them know that their package is at the postal location for pick up? 

Anyway, how do you ensure that your package is sent to somewhere else or is that a signature is required , Particularly when you order from something online that isn’t a big namebrand like Amazon?

"why wouldn’t they have sense enough to hold onto it and try to contact the person by phone or something and let them know that their package is at the postal location for pick up?" The USPS does offer such services. You have to arrange for it, because can you imagine the time and effort required to run down every person receiving a package who isn't at home when they attempt to deliver? Sellers ship the cheapest way possible, but you can also ask them to ship Priority with tracking, or certified with tracking. You will, of course, have to pay for additional services and/or security.

The USPS DID NOT leave a mask at the door. It would fit in ANY legal mailbox.

That said, you CAN leave instructions with the USPS to hold mail for pickup. The shipper isn't responsible for that.

There's a little area called "delivery instructions."  Use it.

• blank

Do you have any idea how many people whine and complain that packages were NOT left at their front door?  The US Post, UPS, FedEx, etc deal with so many self absorbed people with opposing views it is not funny.

Everyone wants ZERO responsibility but 100% convenience.   NOT gonna happen.  IF you order shipping through UPS or FedEx (and pay more for their services) you CAN sign a waiver of responsibilty and ALLOW them to leave your packages at your door.   They will note "left at door" on their electronic pad - and after that - YOU are on the hook for security:  and dealing with the porch pirates.

The only way around this is to:  a) BE HOME at time of delivery or had it delivered to a location where you KNOW you will be to receive it at time of delivery; b) waive liablity for carriers so they can leave it; c) get a PO box and then go stand in line, during certain hours only, in order to collect your packages (and note - many on line stores will NOT ship to a PO Box).

You pay for a PO box and have it delivered there

I doubt the Post Office ALLOWED - gave permission - for it to be stolen.

Smart people RENT A POST OFFICE BOX.

You only deal with reputable companies AND when YOU order YOU ask that a signature be required.

You are right.  The Post Office should call everyone who receives a package in the mail.  The employees could do that in their spare time.  Or from home.  Great idea.  The Post Office has your phone number?

It' s called a PO Box.  You are free to get one.

maybe you should get a po box if youre having problems like that

When I order something online I always make sure it gets sent directly to my house and I put my address in and everything and I never had that problem before. My thing is what's the point of delivery if they're going to leave it at a post office? That sounds weird to me. Well I would just fight to get your money back or ask them to send you out another mask. I think they did you dirty, but I wish you luck and I'll pray for you. 

You have an option of insuring stuff.   You have an option of buying a mail box big enough for packages that is locked.   You have the option of having the package delivered to a mail service store and they will hold the mail for you.  AND you have the option of having it delivered to you via general delivery at the post office.   It is not up to the post office or anyone else to ensure your stuff is secure once it gets delivered to your house.