Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Can you breastfeed after a breast reduction?

My fiancé seriously looked into breast reduction surgery because she thin but has 38DD so her back pain is constant, I'm fine with the surgery since its helping her pain. Since she moved in I have to give her oil back massages at night just to help her go to sleep which is exhausting. The only thing stopping her is she wants to have 3 kids right away and is adamant about breastfeeding them. She said she read that women who have breast reduction cannot breastfeed is this true?

Generally yes, but it's individual.  Only her doctor can tell her if it's an option for her.

• LizB

Totally depends on how much actual breast tissue she has left. Some women who have reductions end up with a full supply and some don't, but then again plenty of women who have never had breast surgery end up with low supply, also, despite trying hard to do everything "right." IMHO the only reason to wait for surgery would be because pregnancy changes your breasts whether or not you breastfeed, so when she has the surgery she may find that she wants to have a lift in addition to a reduction.

Doctor etc face to face will be able to answer better than potentially unqualified people hundreds or thousands of miles away.