Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

How far can a 1yr old remember?

Can a 1yr old remember what they did 1hr ago

@BellJar Ew, why would you breastfeed a toddler that isn't yours?

99 years       

Children at that age learn and remember what they have learned constantly - if they didn't, they would not be able to obtain new skills because every experience would be new to them all the time.

When our now 28 year old daughter was one, I took her once to a place at work and they had cookies there, and she got one.

Over a year later, she was in the building with me again, and immediately looked over to where the cookies had been the last time and said, "Cookie?"

Yes I think they must. Because why did a baby scream and scream when I was babysitting her. She remembered that she wants her mother and doesn't know me. Although if I bounced her on my knee and fussed over her between feeds she was kind of OK but I couldn't put her down for a nap at all. She's start to cry any time I left her alone to feed my own baby or for any reason.

• drip

No. My sister in law is baby sitting her 13 month grandson.   He knows people now. He recognizes grandma’s dog. His favorite toy, He knows the routine for lunch and bath time.  But he wouldn’t remember an hour ago he went for a walk around the block.  

Doubt it, they don't have a very strong memory at that age.

• Jill

At that age they are learning new things all the time. That wouldn't be possible if they didn't remember what they did an hour ago. They aren't goldfish. 

i dont think so