What kind of optics would you put on a .308 bolt action rifle for 25 to 100 yards?

I went against advice and bought a Remington 788 from a friend.  He was selling cheap and I couldn't turn it down, I didn't want to pay $700 to over $1,000 for a new rifle.  I like the gun, perfect for walking through the woods with, but it has a no-name 3-9 x 40 scope mounted on it.  I can't find a brand name anywhere on the scope, most likely a $50 scope that came with the gun new.  There are no iron sights.  I should add I've never really cared much for scopes, but then I've never had a high end scope either, I've previously used open sights.  

I would say taking shots out to 200 yards would be pushing it.   I remember a few years ago, I stopped beside a large tree to load my rifle, looked up and there was an 8 point buck about 15 yards from me looking the other way and paying me no never mind.   I would say the longest possible shot would be 200 yards.  I prefer to take deer closer because I don't want to have to walk 700 yards to try to find the spot where I hit the deer then try to track it.  

Take out both lungs with a potent cartridge at close range then find the deer within 25 feet of where I shot it, one shot kill.  

• Phil

25 -100 yards you could put a crossman scope and be fine.

Some people challenge themselves and shoot 1000 yards with .308.

Stop being a PU$$Y.

With no iron sights you are pretty much stuck with putting a scope on it.    If you are going to stick to 100 yards or less then even a holo sight would work.   Having a 9 power for that distance is kind of lame.  

• Mr.357

Sounds like the scope will work.  My son has been looking for a 788 in .308 to go with is .243.  He found one but some guy was real proud of the bubbaing he had done to the rifle.  He made a $400 rifle a $200 rifle and wanted $550.

• Robin

I personally would change the mounts as that’s the cheapest option 

• Adam D

For shots that don't exceed 100 yards, as long as the scope it has will hold zero, it should do all you need.

If looking to put a new scope on it, get one of the same size.  3-9x40 is the most common scope configuration out there, meaning you'll have the most choices.  Nikon makes good scopes at a great price.  The low-end Leupold scopes are fine for what you're doing, you want good quality, but for 100 yards you don't need to break the bank on something really great.

George: I'm jealous..I have a 788 in 22-250, and gave my stupid brother in law my 788 in 308. I wish I had it back. Anyway, those are damned good shooting rifles, like Travis said. I've had that 788 of mine since the early 70's, and I don't think they came with iron sights? If I were you, I'd put a Leupold 3x9 or a 4x12 on it. Some day you may want to go on an antelope or mule deer hunt, where 5 or 6 hundred yard shots are normal, and you'll need that little extra magnification. The one odd thing about the 788 you need to pay attention to is when you need to unload it, you have to flip the safety to the fire position before you can cycle the bolt. I'm sure you've already figured that out though. Not a big deal, but the do-gooder, safety nannies out there didn't like that about the 788. Congrats on the new rifle, shoot straight, and be safe.

• BBean

Buy a scope that will hold up to the recoil of a .308 and concentrate on which gives you the best image at the distance mentioned. If 200 yards is common distance then a 3x9-40 Nikon is fine. Don`t waste money on the cheapos. Not uncommon to have equal money or more in optics than rifle.

• Matt

Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40mm. Best bang for your buck. 

George, a Remington 788 is one of the best shooting guns ever made. Remington

quit making it because it would out-shoot the  the 700. I have one in ,243 and

it is better than my Ruger and 700 Rem. in 243  and I wouldn't sell it for anything.

I would mount a Nikon 3-9 and head to the woods.