Marcus
Marcus asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Salve civium. Is there any breed of dog which is more loyal / faithful to its owner than the rest?

Is that the result of the innate behaviour of the dog or its response to the way it was trained?

The more time you spend in training, playing, hanging out, exercise & such, the tighter the bond between you & a dog.  Sometimes a bond that requires no words or commands.  Knowing exactly what the dog will do & the dog knowing exactly what the owner will do is a tight partnership.  An example would be any well trained dog but look at the Police dogs.  The bond between a dog & owner is something very few people will experience.

The most loyal dogs I have ever had was a Female Doberman trained as a Police Dog & a Border Collie X that thought the sun rose & set in me.

I have had rescue dogs all my life.  My parents rescued dogs.  I have always had 2 or 3 at a time.

I have never had one breed (and GSDs are my favorite!) which was more loyal and/or faithful than any other breed.

Keeping in mind that these are rescues, I have never rescued a dog younger than 7 months old (which is when they seem to be surrendered), many were chained outside, some were not housebroken, the only common denominator appears to be the way I have trained them or cared for them.

The smartest dog I've ever owned (and one of my GSDs was really, really smart) is a GSD/Rott mix.  He easily recognizes over 100 words, and it's not a question of me saying something and he runs through his behaviors until I tell him he's a good dog (I have never trained with treats).  He's just very smart.

I'm interested in other people's experiences.

Sounds like you just want to ask theoretical questions; not that you are interested in any specific breed, for personal interest reasons.  There is no way to test that, IMO. Through careful training, I can get my dog to heel (off leash) right past a plate of hamburger on the floor.  That is NOT loyalty, IMO - it is TRAINING & respect.

Some breeds by their nature and/or selective breeding for certain traits (or lack thereof) are more people dependent or more independent.  Huskies & other Nordic breeds often fall into the more independent category.  The Husky was bred to run at the end of a sled and NOT to check back or look back at the owner.Breeds more prone to be human dependent may (or may not) be good obedience dogs.  In your mind, does a good obedience dog automatically demonstrate loyalty?  Both Goldens & Weimaraners are very people dependent, but Goldens are much more willing to please but Goldens are friendly to EVERYBODY and are not esp loyal.  Weims often DO NOT do well, if handed off to an instructor in an obedience class or another hunter in the field and will often work ONLY for their owner. But this does NOT mean they can be trusted off-leash.   Many dogs bred to do close work with/for the human (esp if they take many visual clues/directions from them)  tend to be more loyal (GSD, Border Collie) but individuals vary, as do their raising, nurturing and training (if any).  Unless a dog has been specifically bred to protect its owner, how "loyal" it is, will not be likely to matter - as to your personal safety.

• Amber

Collie's or collie mixes. They always seem to pick one owner in a family. My grandfather used to have a lot of collie's and they seemed to either pick him or his wife. Their spaniel's just loved everyone and when anyone new came around they'd follow you everywhere.

• Jojo

I think it depends on what a person defines as `Loyalty`or `faithfulness`.

Most dogs become attached to a person or a pack of people, but many dogs will accept being taken away and re-homed by a complete stranger, eg: Dogs in rescue kennels. 

AS long as a dog is fed and has a leader to look up to, they will be Loyal to that particular person, until such times the situation may change and then they can very quickly attach themselves to a new leader.

The younger the dog the easier it accepts change.

The old dog who has been with the same person or human family for many years, may find a change of owner and familiar environment very stressful.

However......A confident and outgoing dog will adjust to a new owner and environment a lot faster than a nervous or shy natured dog.

As I said......it all depends on how a dog owner defines Loyalty, anfd the temperament of the dog, but the main fact is that `most` dogs will put their own welfare first, before any owner, because they know no better really. They are animals and do not `perceive` the world the same as a human does. 

A dog specifically trained to save a person from being attacked is NOT acting on Loyalty, but is just doing what it has been trained to do and is acting automatically, same as it does to any other exercise its been taught to react to.

Rare is the dog that can disable an attacker without any training at all.

Of course dog owners will swear their dog is so Loyal and will defend them in time of need, but most have never put the dog to the test, and its just wishful thinking.

You can read online of many people that have been mugged or raped (even murdered) when out walking their dog and the dog just stands by and watches or runs off. JMO.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest GSDs are that.    For starters.