Biology help?

2. A bacterium containing one circular DNA chromosome undergoes four rounds of replication How many new strands of DNA would Result?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

In bacterium , DNA replication occurs in both direction i.e. Bidirectional Replication . Replication starts at specific nucleotides sequence known as origin of replication . During replication each strand will act as parent strand and will replicate its complimentary base sequences hence producing new strand , resulting in two molecules of DNA ,each containing one parent strand and other newly synthesised strand i.e. total of 4 strands of DNA after single round of replicaton .

Similarly, during second round of replication each of the four strands will act as parent strands and complimentary strands will be synthesised resulting in total of 8 strands of DNA after second round of replication . Same process will be repeated during third round of replication where eight of the parent strands will synthesis complimentary strands resulting in total of 16 strands at the end of third round of replication . Same process will occur during fourth round as well where 16 parent strands replicate there complimentary strands results in total of 32 DNA strands .

So we can conclude that a bacterium containing one circular DNA chromosome when undergone four rounds of replication will result in total of 32 strands of DNA . Hence it satisfy the option  32

Please rate me Mckenzie !!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.