Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

how can i move to LA at 18?

i’m currently 15 and i live in the uk but i want to pursue a career in acting there when i’m age 18-20. i’m just wondering what visas are available that i could do. i have a way of getting a lot of money for when i’m 18 that i will save up to move. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

acting is not a job people just apply for

• 1 month ago

NO chance! You're way out of date as most filming for movies & TV is done in Canada, not US. You have less than 1 in a million chance of ever getting any part in any TV show or movie - or even TV advertisement! And NO temporary employment visas UNLESS you are an internationally renowned performer (think Harry Potter - Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson). IF you're internationally renowned, and your agent gets you a contract with a known US producer, you will get a visa for long enough to film your role in movie or TV show, or play rehearsals & contracted performances. That could be just a few days, as little is filmed in US, done very quickly, and loads of plays fail to open or close the first week. 

IF you want to be an actor & are UK citizen, you have vastly more opportunities in UK than you do in US, Canada, Australia, etc. IF you are the next Maggie Smith, Laurence Olivier, Hugh Bonneville, Daniel Radcliffe, etc, you will get a contract in US at some point. Go to drama school, get trained - if you have the talent to begin with.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"LA" is Louisiana, just for the record. But foreign actors get work visas when they're cast in a US production (that actually tapes/shoots in the US, and these are becoming more rare with production flight). So use the fact that the UK is a global film/TV powerhouse to get your career started there and then have your agent put you up for US work. US casting directors give preferential treatment to Brits and Aussies because the theatrical training in these places is far better than what exists in the US. Just showing up without the legal ability to work means you'll never even get an audition. You can't even audition for the talent shows unless you're already legal to work in the US. Good luck. Another fact is that many US features are filmed in the UK. So in some ways your best chance to work on a US movie would be to be local to your own creative community. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not happening............you will have to pursue your 'acting career' in the UK and only if you become a well known actor and a US company wants you to play a part in their production will they apply for a temporary visa to enable you to do the job, then you go home once filming is done

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Not happening kid. Like others say, then there are no job hunting visas.

One option, is for you to apply to an American University or similar to study drama. That would allow you to be in the USA for the duration of your studies. This is NOT a cheap option though as you need to pay foreign student fees AND pay rent/ living costs. You would need over £100k to your name to even consider this.

• 1 month ago

There are no visas that would enable you to move to the US to look for work at 18 years old you have no skills, no education so nothing to offer the US that they want/need

• 1 month ago

There are no visas for jobseeking. 

You need to get into acting in the UK; then visas will be open to you. 

• 1 month ago

Stay where you are. The U.K. has an active film and TV industry as well as numerous theaters. Go to a film school there, get some experience, work on your American accent and then move to L.A.

• 1 month ago

First become a well known actor in your country. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.