Is 28 too old to live with your parents? What are your thoughts when to move out?

I'm not 30 yet. I'm only 23 but I still live with my parents. I lived on my own for university for 4 years but now I am back. I'm confused on what to do because in my culture, living with your parents is normal. My parents both lived with theirs until they got married, and as a result, saved lots of money for themselves and helped their parents out financially too. Now my parents are super successful and both hard-working and they moved here (to Canada). I was brought up in Canada and I'm conflicted. 

My parents value me living with them but western society makes it look bad if you are 20+ and live with your parents. They call you "lazy", "spoilt", "a bum", "mooching off parents", etc. Alot of my friends have moved out into their own apartment but my friends who are also children of immigrants are in the same boat as me. I'm conflicted because I have western values (I party, drink, stay over with my boyfriend, etc.) but I'm also very hardworking and value my education like my parents. Logically, it makes sense for me to stay with my parents because I can save up for a few years for a nicer place. But I do have to conform to my parent's rules a bit. They are pretty laid back but I can't do certain things while living with them (ex. bring a boy home for the night, stay out past 2am, etc.). But they are cool with my partying/drinking (on occasion). What's your take? 

Like, I could move out now and live paycheck to paycheck, but it would be a shitty apartment and I wouldn't have financial security and be able to save for future (ex. wouldn't be able to save up for a nice place, can't save up for post grad, etc.). But living at home lets me save up for these things and I can even help out my parents financially with bills and things. So that's kind of where I feel conflicted. 

stay with your parents and  sleep at your boy friend,s  when you want to have sex.

save for a house and give your parents some money  to help them pay  their bills. Good luck to you Sarah.

I would say stay with your parents until you get married.  It is good for the relationship and you will save money. 

You will get your independence in time.  

Enjoy this time and bond with your parents. 

• susan

You could make two lists, one list of reasons to move out, and one list of reasons to remain living with your parents. Then look at your two lists and see which side is best for you. I think you will conclude that staying with your parents for now is in your best interest, but it is better if you decide for yourself. 

To the Western mindset, being a grown up is about making decisions and then living with the consequences. If you make up your own mind, you can hold your head up and don't be ashamed. 

• Embery

If they mysteriously disappear the place is yours, just sayin'. 

I think every one of us should be beside with parents for lifetime. in any stages.

If you all can get along, there is no reason to move out. It is a blessing in every sense of the word. More money can be saved that way too, for when it's really needed.

If you're able to build your career from where your parents live it's not a bad idea to stay at home when saving up for more independence later. Not having your bf spend the night shouldn't be an issue as long as he's got his own place where you can stay and have privacy. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to start paying rent. 

Live by your own rules and don't focus on what society thinks. I'm working on studying for massage therapy and I'm writing a book. If I listened to what everyone else said and moved out only to live paycheck to paycheck, I'd never achieve any of these dreams. Therefore, my goals are far more important than other people's opinions. I'm turning 29 this year as well and still living at home. My parents are fine with me living with them for as long as I choose, even if it's forever. In my case, they have a comfortable sum of money to spend so they don't care if I stay forever or not. I'm not sure if it's similar for your arrangement though. How do your parents feel about it?

i dont think so and its up to you when you want to move out

In your position, you have to think and move.