Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Are they jelaous or what?

My parents keep telling me to start looking for a job. But I already told them Im taking a 6 month-1 year off of work so that I can concentrate on my own buiseness/dream. I disnt start earning crazy money already so they dont see how it is going to turn out well. I saved up money for that year so that is not an issue. If it doesnt go as I planned I can still find a waitressing job or whatever as I did before. I have no qualification for any better job so my only chance is to work on my buiseness now while I can. But they dont seem to understand this. 

If you don't live with them and are paying for everything yourself, you tell them you planned for it and are able to concentrate on your business.

If you live with them or they pay for somethings, you don't get to solely concentrate on your business why they are supporting you. 

• Judy

No, not jealous, but as long as you aren't expecting them to let you live with them or support you financially, it should be your decision.

You're probably going to fail.  Your parents are an older, smarter version of you.

• Eva

Most people do both.  You work to keep earning money to fund your idea, and you work on the idea in your off hours.

• n2mama

I assume you they are not jealous. Are you living with them? If so, they want you working so that you can move out. If not, they want you working so that you don’t have to move back in. Either way, running your own business is a lot of work and requires a lot of business acumen to be successful. If you don’t have the qualifications to get a better job than waitressing, I can see why they would be concerned about your abilities to be successful running your own business. I’m not saying you won’t be successful, just that they probably know the statistics about how many small businesses fail, or how long it takes on average to reach a level of success, and they don’t want to have to support you financially while you try to achieve that (or if you fail).