If someone is killing themselves and you simply watch and refuse to interfere, are you responsible for that death?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

In general, in the United States, people have no obligation to stop someone from killing themselves.  That obligation can exist for some law enforcement officers in some jurisdictions.  NO is the answer to your question.  At no point is anyone responsible for that death.

• 1 month ago

If this is a really situation and you feel you could have done something to stop someone from killing themselves and you feel guilt for not doing something more, then I would say that you are human and you are certainly not responsible for their death.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. But if you want to crow about holding the moral high ground you might decide to intervene.   However, in the ultimate, the decision to die was that of the person who was doing the killing.

If you are a member of a police force or other civil law-enforcement organisation, you might feel it your duty to intervene on a legal basis.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The law regarding this depends on the country you live in. In many countries you would be considered an accessory in the death of a person who commits suicide.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Yahoo
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

In some states you might be considered an accessory

• 1 month ago

If they're a vulnerable person who is under your care e.g. very young / old / mentally unwell - then I'm not sure of 'responsible for the death' is the right phrase, because you didn't cause it. But you could be liable for not taking action.

In any other situation, I think the answer to your question is most likely no. 

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no .. you may feel a moral obligation to try to intervene though .. life is short anyway, nothing is 'that bad' ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.