Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 month ago

How well did/do you know any of your grandparents & especially for those in the US if they speak/spoke a language other than English, do you?

bq: For those who don't speak a language their grandparents might have, any regrets?

I knew my maternal grandmother well. She came to the US in 1937? (not sure) and stayed with us until my Mother died, when she went to an old people's home till she died at over 90 years of age.

Have only seen one Grossparent's (mum's side) picture. No mention of any of the other three, in all my life.

All I know was my Gran'Pa worked for a Railroad.

I never met them they were all gone before I was born

• Lili

I knew all four of my grandparents very well and two of my great-grandparents.

They were all English speakers.  My ancestors arrived in this country from the early  17th (1638) to the late 18th centuries. Only one -- one of my great-grandmothers -- showed up much later, in the late 19th-century, and she died long before I met her.

My husband had two grandparents who did not originally speak English but did by the time he knew them.  They spoke Polish, German, and English. His other set of grandparents, whom he also knew, had ancestors who'd arrived in the early 19th century, and so they spoke ordinary American English.

My great-grandmother spoke only Norwegian.  I barely remember her.  My grandmother spoke fluent Norwegian and English.  My mother just English.  So just English for me!