jijawm asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 month ago

Were you taught what to do when pulled over?

I was taught to put my hands on the steering wheel and to make no sudden movements. Does that mean my parents are black?

• Katy M

I don't think my parents taught me.  I was told by somebody somewhere along the way not to reach for anything (license, reg) until specifically asked for it. And I think it's common sense not to argue.  I was pulled over one time in the middle of the night, and had to wait about 15 minutes while the police officer waited for back up.  I had no idea what was going on, and was completely freaked out.  

Actually come to think of it, I do think my mom told me to drive to the police station instead of pulling over, but I've never done that.

• Willie
    2 days ago

You do what you feel will save your life, so reaching down may get youy killed.

"Taught",  you have got to be kidding.   I was taught the you show respect toward the officer and follow instructions, but then I started driving in the 1950 when people respected authority and behaved accordingly.

I was always taught this as well. My grandfather was a cop and always told us from a very young age that if we were ever pulled over to keep our hands on the wheel and not dig around for stuff just like you had said, and only get your license and such when they instruct you to do so. Race has absolutely nothing to do with this and it is something that I assumed most people were taught when they learn to drive or as a kid or something. 

• James

It means your parents are smart