I have started getting some numbness in my fingers when playing guitar (I have been playing classical guitar for years) Suggestions please ?

I am 65 years old but keep very fit & healthy otherwise apart from recurring shoulder pain. Could this be connected to the nerve problem? My instinct tells me it might be but then I’m no doctor. 

I really want to play guitar professionally well into my retirement years and am very worried that this problem will get worse and force me to stop. I would be devastated if I had to stop playing as it means everything to me. 

Malcolm Smith 

If you feel weakness in your hand and fingers, and have trouble holding things accompanied with sharp tingling that moves from your fingers up into your arm, then you have carpal tunnel syndrome. That's about clamped nerves in your wrist.

If it's only numbness in fingertips like partial loss of sense of touch, then it is probably about circulation problems, frequent in smokers.

You have carpel tunnel syndrome