Augie asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

Some user thinks the Greeks accepted homosexuality but they didn't....not in any approving sense?

They never permitted gay marriage and Socrates gives the decent person's view of the perversion (as does Plato) 

Right there in the very midst Socrates says to Callicles

GORGIAS

SOCRATES: And here, Callicles, I would have you consider how you would reply if consequences are pressed upon you, especially if in the last resort you are asked, whether the life of a homosexual is not terrible, foul, miserable? Or would you venture to say, that they too are happy, if they only get enough of what they want?

CALLICLES: Are you not ashamed, Socrates, of introducing such topics into the argument?

SOCRATES: Well, my fine friend, but am I the introducer of these topics, or he who says without any qualification that all who feel pleasure in whatever manner are happy, and who admits of no distinction between good and bad pleasures? And I would still ask, whether you say that pleasure and good are the same, or whether there is some pleasure which is not a good?

It seems that Greeks valued man to man friendships most of all, above marriage, Wives were for running the home and producing offspring. The male friendships were not necessarily sexual friendships, but nobody was bothered if sexual things happened.

There was no Greek word for 'homosexual'.

• j153e

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_anc... is fair; the primary awareness was masculine activity and feminine receptivity.

• Marli

Socrates was not a Spartan.

The quote is one of the things that show a diversity of opinion among the Greeks. Did all the Greeks say it's great? No. Consider The Frogs, a comedy by Aristophanes. A god, Dionysus, has the idea of duplicating the feat of Hercules, heroically traveling to Hades. Hercules, who thinks this is comical, can't figure out the sexual orientation of Dionysus. He doesn't say homosexuality is evil. He finds humor in it, like a 1970s sitcom.

"A sudden pang of longing. shoots through my heart, you can't conceive how keenly."

"Caused by a woman?"

"No."

"A man?'

"No."

"Very well then, a boy?"

"Oh please! I pray you, brother, do not mock me. The playwrights of our age are mere shadows of the ones whose seats they have taken. I long for lost Euripides."

"You long for a dead man?"

We learn two things from this. First, the Greeks were OK with the suggestion that a god might be gay. Also, they made pot shots at macho types like Hercules, who is not very bright here.  http://classics.mit.edu/Aristophanes/frogs.html

The idea is you ask a question.