Will my insurance cover me?

So I broke a bone in my hand and didn’t have insurance. I started a new job Sunday and they offered insurance coverage up front no waiting period. I had to go see a hand specialist today to see if I need surgery on it. Unfortunately I have to have surgery, but I have insurance now. Can I use that insurance to cover my medical expenses or will I have to still pay out of pocket because it happened before I had insurance?

You might get away with it although you have an equal chance the insurance company will find this to be a false claim and possibly canceling your insurance due to your filing a fraudulent claim. Your choice!

You coverage should start the day your coverage starts. So, new expenses incurred (not billed) on or after the start date should be covered.

They might cover it--you'll have to have your doctor do a pre-qualification form from them. The condition is pre-existing, but it was an emergency, not a chronic condition--so it may be covered. That will depend on their policies. The doctor will probably find out prior to scheduling surgery for you. So let them know and give them your policy documents or ID card or whatever.  

It's your responsibility.  Don't lapse your health insurance.  It's too risky.

• car253

It depends on your health plan if they cover pre-existing conditions.   Since your broken bone was broken before you got the health insurance you have to check with your health insurance plan. 

• Judy

pay out of pocket

You will need to check with your benefits department.

Also, realize that if you are a new employee, you may not be allowed time off for hand surgery/recovery.  There is no job protection until you have worked 1 year. 

Put some ductape around your hand.

Get a second opinion.  American doctors love to tell you that you need surgery.  I smashed about 6 bones in my wrist, US doctor told me I needed surgery.  I phoned my UK NHS doctor who said that was nonsense, just to immobilise it.  I am as good as new.

You will pay out of pocket because you were not insured at the time of the injury.