Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 month ago

Does freestyle dancing help you improve as a dancer?

Hey, I'm a beginner hip hop dancer & I mostly freestyle because I can't get myself to learn new moves because I don't like seeing myself fail, so my question is, can i still improve by freestlying? [I'm still practicing the moves I already know & trying to invent some new ones so that's something I guess] Another thing, can someone send me some moves maybe I'll get myself to learn something new? :)

Thank you in advance!

• 7 days ago

Let me give you a brief introduction about myself: I have been a choreographer for the past four years and have been training hundreds of budding dancers every year. The one thing I noticed which has helped my students to improve their dance form is - freestyle dancing.

Firstly, when you choose to dance freestyle, you allow your body to catch the natural rhythm. And guess what, the good news is, there is no wrong way to do freestyle dance.

The best thing you can do is put on your favourite track (or any song for that matter) and start dancing. Do not try to control your bodily movements. Let it catch the natural rhythm based on the beats of your song.

If you have been into professional or group dancing for too long, you might have noticed after a point, and it gets boring to follow those fixed steps as instructed by your choreographer.

Just like you, your body, too, deserves some space to breathe and not carry out fixed robotic movements all the time when you hit the dance floor.

Practising freestyle dance alone or with your friends at least once a week can significantly improve you as a dancer and add more grace to your moves.

Not really. You will only reinforce what you already know if that’s all you do.