Did i get caught speeding? ?

Weird question and hopefully i can describe it correctly. 

I was driving on a motorway at around 65mph it was quiet and later in evening. I approached a curve and all of a sudden on the above digital signage the limit changed to 40mph for approaching roadworks with no other previous signage. (This road is usually a normal motorway limit). I managed to slam on my brakes as no other cars were around but believe i was doing about 55 through the camera area. The thing is i am unsure if it was either a camera flash or a flash from other lights? 

Do they normally change the camera limit if the works are only on for a night? I’m freaking out as I’ve only been driving for 18 months and worried about losing my license i never speed and if i knew the upcoming area was a 40 i would have complied but the signage was way too late. 

Any help would be appreciated 

MAYBE

HUMANS look at the pictures and would know about a temporary change in the speed limit.

MOST speeding tickets are issued based on MATH. How long does it take to get from entrance A of the Motorway to Exit B going maximum legal speed.

If you time is faster you get a ticket. Not necessary to SLAM ON the brakes.

I never speed  Really?

Be warned you can get a ticket for driving too fast for the conditions. The big sign with a number is not the MUST DRIVE speed just the maximum allowed.

As you were passing under the sign when it changed not a problem just like when the light changes to yellow when in the intersection.

You will know in about two weeks if a ticket comes in the mail.

"Next time be more careful about "slamming on your brakes" in that situation, you could get rear-ended." @Erik

• Erik

You say you were on a "motorway", I'm guessing that's like a freeway.  They don't have cameras there that take pictures of your license plate.  So nothing will happen.  Next time be more careful about "slamming on your brakes" in that situation, you could get rear-ended.

it doesn't matter, probably not, just pay attention.

Install a pneumaticly operated license plate shield, and drive like a bat out of hell, at night.