Is there some kind of LED heating pad I can buy?

I recently met a homeless man who has to sleep on the street and I thought it would be useful for him to have something warmer than a few blankets, especially with winter coming up. It would have to be something you don’t need to plug in/charge and you don’t have to heat up in a microwave or that needs hot water. Just some sort of heating pad/hot water bottle that runs on batteries.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Dr. Answers here. Do you have public bike charging stations in your neck of the woods? If so, you just need a regular heating pad - no water bottles required. Wire it to the bike. This will be two-"man" job if you will. One homeless man can pedal the bike to charge the pad. While the other one avoids dying of hypothermia. Here's the best part. They both stay warm!

Source(s): Hobo's Almanac by Boxcar Nostradomus
  • T-half
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The link below is to a solar powered cell with two USB slots. If it's not sunny, he can go to the library to charge it.

There are heated vests and blanket throws that could be charged with this solar cell.

I know you didn't want them to be changed, but if you offer the blanket and the charger together, then he wouldn't be dependent on batteries.I throw away option is hand warmers.  The kind that you open and shake, but only good for 12 hours.  

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You would be better off buying an emergency rescue heat blanket. They are water proof and can retain 90% of a person’s body heat. 

• 1 month ago

LED lights do not give off heat. So no, there are no LED heaters. Anything that produces heat has to use more power than can practically be supplied by batteries.

Yes, it could be done, but you'd need to replace the batteries often, like at least once a day, or recharge them that often.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Batteries will cost that man money--and not do nearly as good a job to heat him up as a space blanket, or waterproof covering, or some other solution. Instead of trying to warm him up with a product that will  be impossible to find or keep, why not direct him to an actual shelter where he can not only be warm, but also get a decent meal and perhaps treatment for any ailments he may have?  What you suggest isn't at all practical or sensible. 

• 1 month ago

LEDs give off almost no heat ...

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If you want to get him a blanket get a Thermal blanket.  There very warm an very lightweight plus no power source needed except your body.  

Do be careful because unfortunately alot of people who are homeless are unstable. An really most should be off the streets an tooken care of.  But the mental healtcare system is terrible in the country.

• 1 month ago

An LED produces less heat than most flashlights. A chemical hand warmer would be FAR more effective and is available anywhere that sells camping supplies. While you are there, look for an emergency blanket. Those fold to fit into your pocket, but are designed to keep you from freezing in subzero temperatures.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

LED stands for Light Emitting Diode

I think you are looking for a solar powered electric blanket

try camping stores or google

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

LED's don't generate much heat ...................................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.