Anonymous

True or False? It’s time to embrace those born with developmental  disabilities? Instead trying to “cure”?

As an autistic, I say true. I will probably never be able to work a full time job, or ever be wealthy, but that’s okay. I think I have come to terms that it’s how society is constructed that “disable” us. Those born without autism, ADHD, tourettes, dyslexia, and dyspraxia need to start accepting brain wiring differences than the norm. There will never be a “cure” for developmental disabilities because unlike mental illnesses, you’re born with autism. There is 1000+ genes that cause autism, and autism starts in the womb. So a “cure” especially against something that isn’t a disease or mental illness is NOT an option, unless you support lobotomy, or selective breeding which is an ethnics violation. 

"It’s time to embrace those born with developmental disabilities? Instead trying to “cure”

I wouldn't put it that way. You can't "cure" these things, at least not in our current time. But you can take measures to help the affected achieve what they can.

" I will probably never be able to work a full time job, or ever be wealthy, but that’s okay."

Maybe, probably not, and agreed. In that order.

"I think I have come to terms that it’s how society is constructed that “disable” us."

Societal norms are determined by the majority. The majority is neurotypical and always has been.  

"Those born without autism, ADHD, tourettes, dyslexia, and dyspraxia need to start accepting brain wiring differences than the norm. "

I think you're being a bit disingenuous here. Suppose everyone was treated absolutely equally. There's no special ed services, no specialized support services for people who have neurological differences. Expectations are the same for everyone across the board the board. That would negatively affect those with mental disabilities.  That's what would happen if society just accepted the mistaken belief that everyone is totally equal in every way. Now if you look at the way things are currently done, I.E. people who have such disabilities are afforded services and levels of tolerance that people without such disabilities do not generally receive, then it becomes apparent that people with these disabilities *are* accepted as being different than the norm. 

"There will never be a “cure” for developmental disabilities because unlike mental illnesses, you’re born with autism. There is 1000+ genes that cause autism, and autism starts in the womb. "

I'd be willing to bet in that in a century or two, genetic manipulation/gene editing will be a thing and will be fairly commonplace.  The potential upsides are too great for it not to happen. 

• Get over this obsession with cure. There is a great big world out there where neurodiverse people are being accepted, working challenging full-time jobs where they are paid well. Many have families and a bounty of friends. Maybe people would stop discussing cures around you if you stopped portraying autism as such a miserable existence.

It's not a matter of true or false, because you're not asking a fact-based question. You're asking for opinions based on personal attitudes and individual judgment, not facts. So instead of asking 'true or false', ask "Agree or disagree?" and then make your point. As for me, I agree with you. We cannot cure congenital disabilities, so it makes sense to simply accept them as part of our society. And by the way, it's "ethics"' violation, not 'ethnics'.