Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 month ago

Is america a good place to live in ?

Is it safe? I come from a war torn nation. I recently came into some money and want to move as far as I can. 

• ?

If you can meet the monetary criteria for an investment visa to the US (roughly 1M) you can probably afford to sequester yourself someplace safe here. 

• Ann

In spite of all the turmoil that the U.S. is going through right now, it's still the greatest country in the world.  If you want to go to a "safe" area of the country, think about the midwest (Iowa, S. Dakota, Nebraska) or west (Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana).  They are cold areas, but the people are nice and no one will bother you.  It would be a good way to gradually learn the customs.  Stay away from areas that have rioting and a lot of crime, like Chicago or Los Angeles.  I would advise you to not brag about coming into money, or people will try to swindle you out of it.  If it's more than $100,000 U.S., put some in several banks.  A bank can only guarantee protecting your money up to $100,000.  Spread it out if it's more than that amount.  Good luck to you.

Source(s): `00,000

Yes american is good country to live and my Dream country in America i want to go America 

Ok. I was born and raised in America known as the U.S. Is it safe? For the most part, yes. There are locations you don't want to stay in like certain inner city enclaves such as areas of Chicago, New York, or L.A.  

Rural areas is the safest. Residents all know each other and most are all gun owners. They don't care what sh-tland you came from as long as you are willing to work to contribute to the community.

Andrew has the most comprehensive information about the U.S.

I lived most my life in Boston, spent a decade and 1/2 in California, and now living Honolulu. 

Overall, the U.S. is a good place to live in. 

@Andrew: Have you patronized Kelly's Roast Beef for their fish-and-chips platter? :-)

Source(s): Citizen of the U.S.
  • Andrew

The United States is an immense country - it's ranked as being the third-largest country in the world, but in actuality, it's the second-largest if we're going on land area alone and not territorial area, including inland water. 

The United States is also the third most populous country in the world. Only China and India are home to a larger number of people. 

Those two factors come together to make the United States an incredibly varied place, not only in terms of its physical geography, but also in terms of its human geography as well. 

The United States is one of the most diverse countries on this planet. The USA is comprised of pristine beaches, burning deserts, wonderful farmland, rolling hills, lofty mountains, endless plains, tropical rainforests, mighty rivers, dismal swamps, icy tundra, dense woodlands - practically every land-form that can be found on Earth can be found there. 

The United States is also home to some of the most vibrant, important, and iconic cities... But there are plenty of quaint small towns and villages too. 

There are parts of the country where the majority of the people are white, English-speaking Christians and there are areas that are primarily inhabited by blacks or Hispanic or Latinos, areas where there are Asians and Native Americans and Arabs and everything in between. 

There are parts of the country where people are quite wealthy and other places where the percentage of people living below the poverty line is high. There are of course many areas where the majority of the population would consider themselves to be middle class. 

There are parts of the United States that are incredibly safe - places where everybody knows one another and people don't bother to lock their doors because crime is practically non-existent. But there are other places that are quite dangerous. 

To understand the United States, a person would need to dedicate several lifetimes to living there and traveling from one place to another, years and years would have to be devoted to meeting people, interacting with them, getting to know them. 

There's probably no more complex society in the world than the United States of America. I have been there many times. I have walked the streets of Boston and New York and Philadelphia, spent time in dive bars talking with working stiffs... I've hiked out into the deep, dark recesses of the impenetrable forests, climbed old, rounded mountains and looked out upon the meadows stretching off and away into the distance... I've canoed down crystal-clear rivers as they snaked their way through canyons, the rapids gushing over jagged rocks and the mist being carried off in the wind... I've driven across one state after another, watching distant barns and silos come into view and fade away in the distance... Endless fields of wheat interspersed with miles and miles and miles of tarpaulin covered bales of hay like giant marshmallows... Lakes shimmering in the moonlight... Impossibly blue skies and more stars visible at night than you could imagine it's possible to see... 

I've seen mansions set back from the road behind manicured lawns. I've seen throngs of homeless people clogging the boulevards, their shopping carts and bits and bobs piled up beside them... I've seen massive crowds, cities moving like a living entity, and I've sat in a booth in a run-down diner on the side of a service road and watched semis roar by raising dust clouds and then the crushing silence would fall again.

The United States isn't a country. It's an experience. It defies categorisation, evades accurate description, exists within its own self-contained universe, yet somehow demonstrates everything it's possible to express about the human condition. Sometimes when I'm there I hate it and I long for the familiarity of home, but before I know it I'm aching to be back again, to feel that electric shock, to have my heart warmed by the hospitality and kindness of the people, to bask in the ever-present sense of hopefulness that defines Americans. 

If you can get yourself there, do it. Maybe you won't want to stay, but if you haven't been to the United States, you don't really and truly understand the possibilities we have available to us as human beings.   

Real estate and housing are generally of high quality and inexpensive compared to most of the developed, and even developing world. Availability of international food is very good. Even small towns and cities will have a plethora of of options

The United States is a very large country.  Only Russia and Canada have a greater landmass.  It also is extremely diverse culturally, as various parts are derived from England, Spain, France, and Russia, along with some areas heavily influenced by Native Americans, plus immigrants from miscellaneous countries affecting regions.  Thus almost anything can be said and it and its exact opposite could be true depending on what part of the country you are thinking of.

That said you should decide where you are interested in based on what is important to you in terms of employment, education, weather, health care, etc.

Not really.  Guns are so widespread that you'd think there was a war.  However, most of the intentional deaths are suicides, not murders.

I don't think America is where you want to move to avoid conflict. 

No, any idiot can have a gun.