Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsMusic & Music Players · 1 month ago

does anyone else find this when playing old or used cds over and over on repeat?

i have a lot of used second hand cds which i bought online, still in good condition.....but often when i leave the cds of old music, from the 60s and 70s - playing on repeat through the night, for many hours-  the songs start to sound 'out of tune' and a little distorted and not like hearing the songs fresh for the first time.

i have a good stereo cd player which i bought in 2017.does anyone know why this is?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Most likely, something in the audio setup is getting hot after many hours use.

Or you are imagining things??

ps Anonymous is correct about the CD layers, the layers separating and aluminium layer oxidising is a problem I mentioned in a previous answer.

However that generally affects the last track(s) on the disc, if it is happening.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. that should not happen. Try a new CD and see if it happens. If it does, then that is the fault of the CD player or the amplifier. Or perhaps you are hearing things

• 1 month ago

To "Anonymous":   

No CD is made of two layers. 

Every CD is One piece of plastic, Period. 

DVDs are made of two pieces, though. 

The green marker myth was debunked decades ago. Forget it.       

Ravenhill: 

Neither your machine nor your CDs are to blame.    

You are.    

When you listen to the same thing over and over and over and over, 

your brain Gets Tired Of It and will do almost anything to achieve relief, 

including changing the apparent speed and pitch of the material. 

The cure is Not repeating any music more than maybe three times in one day.     

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

1. Old CD.  is two layers of plastic sandwiching a very thin aluminum plate. If Air enters the sandwich, the Aluminum may "rot", causing  loss of quality. No fix.

2. Try taking a GREEN "magic marker", make  a line around the circumference (outer rim) of the disc. I have no idea how this works, but it was used frequently in the olden days to improve sound.

3. Rerecord the discs. Which may be near impossible with anti-copy coding.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.