Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Is it better have a joint account with your spouse or to have separate accounts?

Like anonymous, we have three accounts.  One for me, one from her and a joint one.  Money goes into the joint account and the expenses are paid.  From time to time a distribution of the surplus income is made to both of our accounts ( equally). Our own personal discretionary expenditure comes from that.

• T-half

Until we got separate accounts, my husband and I argued weekly about the budget. 

He didn't want to follow a budget.  He wants to buy things when he wants to.  Charge it, I want it now. He got paid weekly. 

I get paid monthly and divided my grocery money up.  No we cannot go out to eat this week, we used up this week's allotment. 

Yes I know there still money in the bank, but that's for next week. 

He has his bank, I have mine.  We divvied up the bills.  It works for us.

My parents have a joint account, and separate 'mad money' accounts.  Their names are on all accounts, but he doesn't spend her money and visa versa.  Works for them. 

Separately. It’s the best way

My wife and I have had a joint account for 52 years. That way each of us can see when the other is spending money and in our case it is usually me. My wife is a tightwad so she very seldom spend money needlessly.

My husband and I have one joint account for household expenses like rent, utilities, and groceries. However, we each have our own separate accounts that we have had since before we met. 

• Ocimom

Both if possible.  The joint account should be used to pay all household and car bills.  The separate accounts could be used for whatever the spouse wants and can afford.

• KTJoe

All the way joint account; combine all income, paying household bills, etc. Both persons agree on money to withdraw for personal use.  

My spouse and each had our own accounts and we had a joint account.

• Raja

If it is a savings account it is better to make it joint because interest earning will be high . The couple can discuss and withdraw funds to meet expenses.

This is something for each couple to work out.  My husband and I have both.  Paychecks get deposited into one account, which is used to pay bills.  Each of us has a private account, and a certain amount is transferred monthly from the joint account to the private accounts.  This is used for personal purchases, like books for me and software for him.

If she insists on making everything joint, that's a huge red flag