Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

How difficult is it to make deer jerky and how do you make it?

• Matt

Not difficult. You need a dehydrator. I first mix cure and preferred seasoning into ground venison. Then I make strips out of the ground venison and place them in the dehydrator. After about 5 hours of dehydrating i put them on a baking sheet and bake them at 125 F for about 20 to kill any remaining bacteria. Then enjoy. 

• Phil

When I take a deer, I usually toss the ribs on the grill immediately and pretty much the rest becomes jerky. The rest gets tossed into the burger grinder with some beef and then THAT gets made into strip jerky.

Lots of salt and pepper and if you can find some Rajun Cajun spice. . . even better.

First, you must kill a deer.  Then, cut away as much of the meat as you wish to preserve and marinate it in your choice of solution. (I like to use Italian salad dressing, but there are numerous options available.) Then, cook it in your oven at about 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.

Google venison jerky.  There's about 345,000 recipes.

I cut the venison into thin strips, then marinate it in a zip lock bag with onion, Worcestershire sauce, onion, soy sauce, liquid smoke, garlic, hot pepper seeds...just about anything I can find in Mrs. Bufflekill's spice rack. Put it in the fridge, turn the bag over once a day for 3 or 4 days, then dehydrate. You can do it in the oven or a dehydrator. I have a contraption I used on my wood stove. Its not hard to do.

• C T M

You're going to need a deer, a knife, and a dehydrator. Go get all that stuff and come back then and ask again.

• BBean

All depends upon your circumstances. You anonymous guys and your "one liner questions". If you don`t have a knife or a deer you cannot make anything...let alone deer jerky. Simple answer for a moron is to slice venison in thin slices and let dry.

It isn't too hard to make. There are many ways to make Jerky on YouTube.

Just google it.

I’ve never had deer jerky, but Jack Links beef jerky is really good.