Do you think we will ever make contact with an extraterrestrial civilization? ?

In my opinion, one might be advanced enough to just sort of download their minds into a virtual world they created, where they can thrive forever, giving up completely on physical forms. Like a never ending dream. 

What do you guys thinks? 

No.

They don't exist.

At least not within detection range, so as far as we are concerned we lose nothing by simply assuming they don't exist.

The ET fiasco has been moaning on for decades. Despite advances in observation technology, no progress has ever been made. The attention grabbing sector of the SETI brigade has been claiming for decades "contact ant day now". Nothing happens.

Why would you want to anyway? Why would anyone want to? That, is a question for psychologists, not astronomers.

• not  if  american  government  has  any  say  in  the  matter … ostracization  complete.  i  wish  they'd  hurry  up  and  make  their  global  presence  known … large  ships  above  the  100  largest  cities  in  the  world.  that  way  gov't  could  no  longer  deny  such  things.  likely  not  to  happen  in  my  lifetime.

We should make eye-contact first I think.

• Zirp

unless e figure out how to send info way faster than the speed of light, it would be a one-way contact - like reading a book that was written a million years ago

I think 'downloading' like that would only be a copy... it could *simulate* who the person was (or...alien, I guess) but it wouldn't be *them*...  

If there's intelligence out there, and if Mankind can stick around long enough... I'd guess that yes... one day, we'll meet.  

But probably not for a very long time. 

• BJJ

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,

How amazingly unlikely is your birth;

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,

'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth .

The galaxy song 

,,,,,,,,,,,  ,,,,,,,,,,    

The universe is a pretty big place and if it's just us it seems an awful waste of space. 

Carl Sagan quote 

• John

It appears that we are alone in Perdition. I make the best of what little I got.