Mashiro asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 1 month ago

Do i have to serve in korean military if i were to get a dual citizenship there?

Hi im male and turning 18 soon and i might move to korea and apply for a korean citizenship once i got my passport. That would be my first time going to korea. Im half filipino and korean. I was born and raised in the philippines. Thank you in advance.

3 Answers

  • why  not  ask  the  korean  consulate,  and  get  the  facts … instead  of  someone's  perspective  or  outdated  material?

  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If you are of Korean descent it wouldn't make much sense for you to bother attempting to become a Korean citizen. If one of your parents is a Korean national, you would qualify for the F-4 which would allow you to reside here for lengthy periods of time, to seek employment, etc. And because you would retain your own citizenship, you wouldn't have to do mandatory conscription. 

  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If either of your parents has Korean citizenship then you could be subject to military service, but they do give some exceptions for people who did not grow up there.  These exceptions are not guaranteed, but growing up outside of Korea would put you up for consideration.  Regardless, you can't just show up in Korea on a tourist visa and apply for citizenship.  You need to apply for citizenship through your local Korean embassy.  At your age trying to avoid military service may not be looked well on anyway assuming you really want to live there.  You should see it as an opportunity rather than a problem. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.