Zerzy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is Dutch a dying language?

Whenever I tried speaking it in the Netherlands they all just switched to English

Well I used Dutch the first 19 years of my life.I have lived 62 years in Canada since then.Of course I learned a lot of English during my 19 years in the Netherlands.English is not the easiest language to learn.Yet basic English is much easier than any European language I am aware of.English of course has a huge spelling problem.In that sense Dutch is much easier.

How was your Dutch compared to their English ?

Probably because their English was better than your Dutch.  No, it's just not got so many speakers and is only spoken in a few countries.

I found the same on a school trip in the late 1950s. At that time I spoke only English, and a bit of school-boy French.

Dutch people have always been good linguists.

Maybe they thought you were struggling to speak Dutch and spoke English out of kindness.

• Zirp

It's not dying, but most adults have had english-classes for 6-8 years, and there's this myth according to which English is the easiest language on the planet (in reality, Esperanto is, says Guinness).

Some Dutch, especially in Amsterdam and the rest of the west (randstad), will switch to English at the first hint that someone is a foreigner - sometimes even without asking whether (s)he speaks any English

Source(s): dutch/NL
  • Ron

Perhaps, or maybe they heard an accent or grammatical errors and switched to a language that was mutually intelligible. Most Europeans are good like that.

• Dave

Several possibilities going on here for this phenomenon. The main one is that many Europeans (not just the Dutch) will switch over to speaking English and not the country's language the very second that there is any signal given (in the non-European's mouth) or conclusion drawn (in the European's mind) that the other speaker is American (or perhaps British). The 'why is that so?' is where all the possibilities lie: the two most likely (to me, anyway) are that (a) they just want to practice their own command of English with what they believe is a native speaker, or (b) that they think it's an act of courtesy to do so. Have had it happen scores of times to me, in the many times this Yank has been to continental Europe... EDIT: I guess I didn't answer *your* question, did I ?  :-) 

Source(s): native AmE