Is child hunger in the UK caused by parents?

I am perfectly willing to be proved wrong, and if you have experience with this I'd love to hear about it....

With all the recent talk of child hunger in the UK, I've been wondering how much of it comes down to either parental neglect, or a lack of education and awareness around how to cook cheap, healthy meals. I know from experience you can buy a bag of rice, frozen vegetables and meat for less than a few pounds at the cheapest supermarkets, and with that you can easily make a week's worth of meals. I've cooked meals which probably cost about 10p each. Also, in these news stories interviewing parents who supposedly cannot feed their children, I notice the parents are often overweight. It just doesn't seem to add up.I know in eastern European countries where many people genuinely cannot afford to buy food from shops, it's extremely common to grow food in any land you can find, whether it's a garden or just some unused spot of soil nearby, and go foraging. If people genuinely cannot afford to feed their children, wouldn't they be compelled to resort to such solutions?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Of course people

can’t afford to feed the kids. First you have to pay for your phone, it’s not cheap getting a iPhone 99 on a contract and you need enough data to text 24/7. 

Then you need about £25 for lottery tickets and  scratch cards, and the same again for on line gambling , more if feeling lucky.20 fags a day, that’s only £4000 a year and then you’ve got to get the cans of Stella in although you’re saving a fortune now the pubs shut.Oh, just remembered the 108 in TV from Bright House., and it would be stupid not to have Sky with that.

Oh and paying off Wonga for the loan to get the tats done .

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

More likely too may poor blokes having kid children zxqjw

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If the stories on the TV news, both from BBC and ITV, are to be believed, there are many parents out there who struggle financially to feed their children and themselves. 

The Covid pandemic has made it worse, because not all jobs have been covered by the furlough scheme, and many people have lost their jobs.

Foodbanks, which hand out parcels of food to struggling families, have seen much increased demand for their services in recent months.

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Hunger is caused by poverty.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • LizB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The parents are overweight because in industrialized countries where cheap processed food is so prevalent, obesity is actually a sign of malnutrition. Because nutritional content of cheap processed food is so poor, a person *has* to overeat in an attempt to meet basic nutrient needs. Excess empty calories leads to weight gain, yet if that person has blood work done they may find that they are still anemic, have low vitamin D levels, or have any other number of nutrient deficiencies. Loads of sugar, salt, and empty carbs doesn't make up for what our bodies actually need to function properly. Add to that the highly addictive nature of processed foods (they are addicting by design), and people who already have unhealthy relationships with food are just that much more prone to overeating.

As for "why don't poor people grow food?", some who live in very rural areas do. But people in cities don't have the land to farm or the funds to buy gardening supplies, and moreover they generally don't have the time. If you're working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, when do you have time to tend vegetables? You don't. There are only so many hours in a day so something has to give, and usually the thing to give is time spent acquiring and preparing food.

• nalla
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

This is such a hyper sensitive subject at the moment, it can be addressed in many ways and everyone has an opinion. My take on the matter is that as an older father of three children we/ I had them because we could afford them, yes we went without to feed clothe and educates our children, our choice. But nowadays priorities seem to have changed have kids but let the state keep them, wrong if you a cannot afford them don’t have them.

• 4 weeks ago

Where to start...? First, this is assuming that all people live within walking distance of a grocery or are able to access transportation to and from--- lots of people may not have that luxury. Or, say they are able to purchase food, not everyone can afford to keep their electricity on or pay for propane for gas stoves... that cheap food still needs to be cooked and pre-packaged foods are more expensive. Not only may they not be able to heat food, they may not have the means to keep their cheaper, fresh foods refrigerated or frozen--- leading to wastage, spoiled food, food poisoning, etc. Growing food, sure, again, if you have the resources... decent soil, space, potable water, seeds, etc. Keeping animals can be expensive and in many areas there are laws regulating the slaughter of animals for food and proper disposal of remains. Foraging is also called stealing in many countries and dumpster-diving is illegal. So parents who may try these means to feed their children could wind up in jail, fined, etc. My beliefs are that child hunger is caused by societies who do not value human life... I mean, at the fundamental level, there is a reckless disregard for the well being of another. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You cannot nail it down to one reason; people have many different circumstances, which have been magnified by the Covid situation. Some are irresponsible, some unfortunate, some lost their jobs, some  are of low intellect.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.