My therapist recommends strongly that I take 2-3 months off work for sick leave, psych issues. Will my employer honor this?


Or does the order have to come from an M.D. from my health insurer? ( current therapist is payed out of pocket, independently sought)

12 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    Yes hello.  This is Hugh.  I can't come in today. I'm calling in batsh*t crazy.

    Source(s): Doctor's orders.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    They don't have to and if they do they do not have to pay you.

    Payed is actually spelled P A I D.

  • Jane
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    You may like to consider a more flexible approach, such as negotiating a change in the amount ( temporary reduction) or timing of your working hours ( eg. starting later if you have sleep disturbance), working from home for part of the time, or taking on different responsibilities.

    Of course this depends on 

    1. How your work effects your mental well-being. Is there something specific about your job, relationships at work and work environment that causes you to feel unwell? And is there any aspect of work that is healthy for you? Are your mental wellbeing challenges caused by or made worse by your work, or are there other factors outside of work that have a more powerful effect?

    2. How willing your employer may be to valuing your contribution and agreeing to reasonable adjustments

    3.Your contract, and equalities legislation in your area. 

    Chances are that your employer will want to consult with their own medical practitioner.

    And you will need to bring your own analysis to the situation- hopefully your therapist will be able to acknowledge both your health needs and your 'pay the bills' needs, and assist you in thinking through different strategies to manage these in your real life situation.

  • 3 months ago

    That would depend on your employer as they would have to find a replacement for you while you're gone.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

    It would be a good idea to explain in a few words what those issues are. If you don't specify, people will think of the worst-case scenario. You don't have to tell them everything. Just briefly explain what you're struggling with, so they don't panic.

  • 3 months ago

    Now how on earth would anyone here know that? You surely must realize that this is a question that only your actual employer can answer! If your company has a medical "leave" program, perhaps--but again--no one here would be able to tell you that. Only your HR department can tell you. 

  • 3 months ago

    In you are in the USA, the documentation needs to be from a medical doctor. In your situation, that would usually mean a psychiatrist.  If a psychiatrist is not part of your treatment protocol, you prematurely taking this leave.

    Additionally, to have job protection while you are off work, you must qualify under FMLA or a similar state law.

    the basics, not the details:

    - worked for the company for 1 year

    - worked 1250 hours during the year

    - the company has to have more than 50 employees.If you do not meet these criteria, you can ask for the time off.  However, even if it's granted the company can change their mind.

  • 3 months ago

    They do not need to keep your job open for you.   If an opening exists when you are able to return to work they may bring you back to work. 

  • 3 months ago

    If they have FMLA, they might honor it. Or you can use any paid sick time off you may have, or vacation if you really need to.

  • ?
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

    It is possible that your employer will give you a leave of absence, which is unpaid time off.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.