Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Can you fall out of love with someone and then love them again?

My relationship left me feeling drained because of all the issues we had with his anxiety and depression. He wasn’t helping himself and he hated himself and it was obvious. It became so hard. I felt like I still cared about him but something had changed. Things had become so serious and miserable because of the depression and I didn’t feel like a happy go lucky girlfriend I felt like an old miserable woman. I communicated this to him and he promised to change. I moved out of our home and ended the relationship. He didn’t want it to end and asked if we could try again, I said only if he makes changes. A couple of months on, he has been improving his life and his attitude is so much better and more positive as he is in therapy. We have been hanging out again as friends and I feel like he is like the guy I met in the beginning - positive, proactive and happy. I feel attracted to him again and I feel like I’m falling in love with him again. I probably never fell out of love it was just strained and difficult for a while. I’m just wondering if this is possible - to fall out of love and then start loving someone again?? I feel so much happier when I am in contact with him and when I see him than when I don’t see him, I feel like something is missing when he isn’t around to the point where it’s painful. 

• Raja

First you fell out of love because of his depression you did not feel like a happy go lucky gf .Later you noticed he has been improving his life and his attitude has changed .  Having observed that you made up your mind to be in love with him again This is perfectly in order normal and natural .  Start a new life and be happy with him .

• Alan H

All that suggests it has never been real love.

Once that happens , you do not change so easily.

When we are in a relationship, we don't feel all blissfully in love every day - and there are sometimes issues which cause this and other times, we are busy living our lives to sit around thinking about it.  It doesn't mean we don't love someone. 

Many relationships break apart because one or the other partner can't cope with life and become miserable.  And often, they still love each other but love alone isn't enough.

• T J

He needed help at that time. Did he ever get it? f not, maybe you can prompt  him to see a professional to help with his problems. You can tell him how you feel about him, maybe that will prompt him to get the help he needs........Good luck

i really don't know. sounds exhausting. 

It's nearly a requirement of any long term relationship. There are ups and downs. The reason so many people are challenged by and distrustful of someone's "ex" is because, yes.. it's very common to fall in love, again, with someone you've been in love with before. A lot of times people have a far more solid reason for not wanting to get involved with their ex ever again. A more solid reason than whether or not they are in love with them. 

i think so..best wishes..tc both of u

Its possble some things can be a turn off

i really don't know. sounds exhausting.