Why are lottery tickets a thing?

To me, it just seems like a ploy by the government to keep stupid people poor and raise a little money on the side.

• a

I remember our state legalizing the lottery, and my Dad saying, "It's a tax on poor people." I suspect, at least 50% of the time, lottery winners end up no better off than they were before. Many end up blowing the money on Mc Mansions that they can't maintain, restaurants they have no idea how to run, or businesses they've dreamed of, but never bothered to get the education or experience needed beforehand.

The first winner of our state lottery won a little less than a million dollars. His job was that of managing investments for a state university. He commented that it may *seem* like a lot of money, but given what he usually dealt with, one million dollars is not actually a lot of money. He figured if he invested it well, he and his wife would have a comfortable retirement.

You answered your own question. Lol. 

Stop forcing them into poverty.

sometimes people win

Yes and no.

Yes

• garry

ploy by the government , they get easy tax out of them , same as cigarettes and alcohols , bad for you but good for taxes ..show me anything bad for you that the government has banned ..

• James

Stupid people are poor because they're stupid, not because of the lottery.  There is a big demand for the lottery, the providers are merely supplying the demand.

Some people aver that its not the smartest use of one's resources to play it, but hey it's a free world. People should make their own choice.

True about the govt getting a lot of money. But you don't mention the people who actually win MILLIONS of $'s and have major changes to their lives. And even the people who don't win, the hope and dreams they have while waiting for the draw are better than any drugs for depression! I'd only make the recommendation you play the minimum amount of games (lowest cost). When you're meant to win - you only need one entry!

Raise a whole LOT of money.  That is the entire purpose, to raise money.  

There is a cause to start selling lottery tickets for part time jobs.