What do Americans think about the UK leaving the EU?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago
    Favourite answer

I don't think a lot about it. I mean, I think that it was a poor decision made rashly by misinformed and even disinformed voters at a very weird political time that ultimately isn't in the UK's best interest or the best interest of Britons, which is unfortunate, but not earth-shattering. Countries, electorates, they're just people, and people make mistakes, and mistakes don't generally end up being as big a deal as people feel like they are at the time. 

The UK is strong, very strong, and it will survive, not just survive but continue to thrive. I mean, leaving the EU (i.e., Brexit) isn't going to be the UK's undoing, nor is it going to be the EU's undoing. Moreover, if it becomes imperative and people really put their minds to the task, the UK could find its way back into the EU-- maybe not right now and maybe the EU would put the UK through the paces just for a bit of payback for the jilting, but a way could be found.

My greater concern is that the UK and France's diplomatic relationship remains solid and secondary concern is that the UK and Germany's diplomatic relationship remains solid. These relationships being solid are integral for peace in Europe, and beyond that, for world peace, because history has proven time and again that when there's not peace in Europe, there's not peace in the world. Europe's conflicts become global conflicts. While the UK leaving the EU certainly put a ding in its diplomatic relationships with France and Germany and much of continental Europe, the EU was first and foremost the UK's economic relationship with France, Germany, and the rest of the EU member countries. It's diplomatic relationship with France, Germany and much of Europe is NATO and the UN. As the UK remains in NATO and remains in the UN, a permanent member of the Security Council even, it's diplomatic relationships with France, Germany, and Europe in general remains solid.In short, I'm not too concerned. Everything will work out, whether that means the UK never rejoining the EU to be part of the economic free-trade zone or not. 

=================================================

By the way, a big part of the reason it's not as big a deal as it's been cracked up to be is the UK never had really jumped into the EU with both feet. The EU is a trade organization. It's inception was to create a continental free-trade zone to create markets as big as those of the United States so as to better enable European industry and commerce to have the same advantages that the United States has by having such an enormous free-trade zone, most especially when it comes to realizing cost minimization through economies of scale that would allow European businesses to better compete with American businesses with competitive pricing through reduced costs from said economies of scale. But as I was saying, the UK never had really jumped into the EU with both feet because it refused to convert to the euro but kept the pound, thus its economy stayed somewhat separate, kind of like the UK saying, "Yeah, I'll marry you, but we're still going to keep separate places."

The fact that the UK never converted to the euro made it very much less of a big deal. Had it done, it'd have been HUGE. I can't even fathom how the UK, the third largest economy in the world, would've gone about converting back over to the pound. The UK would've had to have liquidated all of its euros, which would've put a run on EU bank, devaluing it and bottoming out both the UK's and the EU's economies. So, fortunately, the UK never converted to the euro and the little divorce called Brexit has been mostly nuts and bolts because, while financially married, the UK kept its own place and its own stuff, making the divorce far simpler than it might've been.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Never understood why England got involved.  How stupid do you have to be to let  people govern you that you did not elect?  The best thing out of Europe was our ancestors who were smart enough to leave and build America.   

Source(s): Never understood why the English were stupid enough to get involved. Why would anyone with half a brain let themselves be governed by people they did not elect?
  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Most dont care one way or the other

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Most probably don't consider it one way or the other (if they even know anything about it). I've only had to hear a lot about it because I have a British relative who's pretty upset about it. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I suspect they see it as a great opportunity to sell us crap.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Never cared.

Borris is another Trump.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

trump thought it was the way to go.

enough said.

• 3 months ago

Give them a chance.  Not many Americans know what the UK is, let alone the EU.

• 3 months ago

It's too bad. Europe as a single quasi nation under the EU charter creates greater worldwide stability and balance. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.