Lv 7
2017 asked in SportsBaseball · 4 weeks ago

Why do they call it the "worlds" series when baseball is played in many countries, Japan, Taiwan, Dominican Republic and others. ?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Because USA is useless at proper sports like Rugby, Soccer and Cricket , so has to make it’s sports that hardly anyone else plays and are usually derived from English school girl games, seem important.

• 4 weeks ago

It comes from the world of hype. Just as a certain circus was the Greatest Show on Earth. It does not bother me even though I like NPB. I suppose I could object to the Stanley Cup and the Grey Cup as they obviously represent colonialism! I really doubt that Lord Stanley and Lord Grey were much on racial equality. 

At least the World Series does not have that connotation. Like others say, the Super Bowl is still the Super Bowl even when the game itself is far from super. 

• CODA
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

lets face it, what other country could ever compete against mlb teams. we have the best of the best in the world from other countries of the world that have created the best teams and the best two leagues in baseball".

• 4 weeks ago

www.worldbestitems.com

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Because they can, dumbass.

• 4 weeks ago

Because we are the United States and no one else matters.

• 4 weeks ago

Same reason the Miss Universe paegent only has contestants from Earth.

• danxp2
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The World Series was first played in 1903 between the champions of two rival leagues, the National League and the American League. At the time, calling the championship the World Series made sense because that was the name that had been used in the 1880’s to describe the series between the champions of the National League and the American Association (no relation to the League). The organizers found it to be a great name.

Of course, that just pushes us to the next level: Why was the 1880’s series called the World Series? Marketing, of course. It made the event sound more important to make it the baseball championship of the world. Sold more tickets, got more press. Story as old as time.

Over time, the term World Series has changed in meaning to simply mean “baseball championship,” to the point that usually, neither the World part nor the Series part is true. For instance, the Little League World Series is a single-elimination tournament, although it has worldwide scope. The College World Series is a double-elimination tournament between university teams. Etc. If you see a sporting event called the “world series,” chances are it’s a baseball championship. Although not always: Hence the World Series of Poker.

That process is normal; once a word enters the language as a single piece, its origins no longer inform its use.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"World Series" .... it's the title of the Major League Baseball Championship.  It's a title.  It's not relevant that baseball is played all over the world.  The Super Bowl isn't played in a bowl.  Lord Stanley is not in the cup.  If it's truly disturbing you then consider a psychologist. 

• 4 weeks ago

Because at the time it started baseball was an American sport.    Besides,  if other nations want to join in they should stand up and say so.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.