Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

Reading a book at one time or reading multiple books at one time?

Are there any cons and pros to either or does it make no difference?

I would rather just read one book at a time. I'm blind, so I don't read print, but I read all my books on my computer and my screen reader talks to me and reads what's on the screen to me. Since I have to only rely on my hearing, it's hard to listen to more than one book, so I just listen to each one from start to finish. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to comprehend what I read in each book. That's like I can't listen to more than one movie or show because then I wouldn't be able to comprehend them. If two of my favorite shows or movies come on at the same time I'll watch the one at that time and watch the other one at midnight when it comes back on. I really mean I listen to them, but we blind people are allowed to say "watch" because listening to something is our way of watching it. 

i like to read max two books at a time. it helps me not to get bored by just reading one and i can switch. i guess it depends on the story and the size of the book.

• chorle

I can only read one book at a time since it takes both my eyes to focus on the page or screen, only one at a time no matter what Doctor Floyd (from The Radio Adventures of Doctor Floyd) said in the Audible ad about he could listen to a book when reading a book.

I do not always finish a book before reading a different one that would be like not watching a different TV or Steaming show until you have seen all of one show.

Finishing a book might help to keep events and charaters straight in your mind but rarely would you have started books similar enough that that would be a problem

I am able to read a few books at a time because I need intellectual stimulation. 

It's simply a question of what works for you.

I always have a couple of books on the go, sometimes three, even four. Generally one is a solid novel, one's a biography, one's on whatever period of history I'm interested in at the moment, and if there's a fourth it could be poetry or an old favourite from books I read as a child and still enjoy.

I would rather read a book one at a time because I want to see how it ends haha

• Elaine

Right now  I have 5 books on the go and have no problem in  following the story of whatever book I am currently reading. that being said I have at times stayed with one book and read the story to the end.  

• Darla

I read three different books at one time. 

• April

It depends. Sometimes two books is nice for variety in case you get bored of one, you can always go back later. I usually keep notes on the books I read to get a good understanding.

Generally, I will read books serially but I will sometimes have a fiction book in one place and a non-fiction book in another and read one or the other, depending on where I am. I suspect that reading two fiction books at the same time could be confusing.