Why cant Biden just say he will pack the court? I dont want every progress to be un-done?

This is what pisses me off about Biden and why I wish Bernie had won. 

HES NOT SAYING WHAT DEMOCRATIC VOTERS WANT. 

And the worst part is the ACA will be abolished. If you love your healthcare, its about to be TAKEN AWAY. 

LGTBQ rights and right to marry who ever you want. THAT WILL BE GONE TOO. 

JUST ******* SAY IT JOE. SAY YOU WILL PROTECT US. JUST ******* SAY IT. STOP DEFENDING REPUBLICANS!!!!

Every progress made will have to be fought for again and I dont want to fight for it again. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Complexity is very hard to understand and teach. 

There are two issues that are leading the US into collapse.

1) The skew of wealth. Your stated support of Sanders says you already know about this one.  However, you don't understand that there isn't any quick fixes that Bernie was shouting about.

2) Divisiveness. We are a fragmented nation. Pete Buttigieg had an important message. The 51% cannot control the 49% and have the nation grow and recover. 

Adding more SCOTUS Justices requires Approval by Congress and the President, as any law. The US Supreme Court is our highest court of the land. Its power is in its balance to make decisions in line with the Constitution and justice. Reputation is important. Meddling in the configuration of the court is a bad action. Biden has already stated he does not WANT to do it. He is correct, and the people as a whole support that.

However, in 2016, for the Merrick Garland nomination by Obama, the Republicans in the Senate quashed the nomination without hearings or votes. It was not Advise and Consent as stated in the US Constitution. They held it for close to a year with no action. Their statements from many Republican Senators was "NO HEARINGS IN A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR!" Let the people decide!

It is on youtube and in transcripts and is the same Senators there today who just pushed through the Amy Barrett in record time. 

The Republicans are pushing the Democrats to do what is wrong to do. The American people have not spoken about the AFTER AMY BARRETT APPOINTMENT. They said NOT to do it, but now that it's done, there is no survey yet showing what should be done about it. Adding liberal judges by a court expansion is like tearing down a building that almost half the country likes in order to replace it with a building that just over half the country likes. And what happens when the Republicans get back into power one day? 

IF THE DEMOCRATS take majority control of the Senate (which has not happened yet), and IF Biden wins, and assuming Democrats keep the House, THEN Biden can do it.

No need to make hypothetical commitments now that very many people disagree with.

What the lying hypocrite Republican Senators did was legal but unethical. To bring the nation back together, this must not be Democrat versus Republican wars. It must be "what's the right thing to do for the country?" And that is not an easy clear statement at this time. 

The people didn't want a Sanders. Sanders was about more internal war, to push on an offensive. That only works AFTER 75% of the country agree. The Independents did not want Sanders and don't want Trump. We need an orderly change in the right direction and more unity. Biden is our hope for that.

Allow the time to make thoughtful plans after consulting the best available experts. We DON'T want a Trump who charges forward on rhetoric and extremism. The number of SCOTUS is not something changed like underwear. It's more like planning a major renovation to a home. We don't want to destroy our home in trying to make it improved.

• 4 weeks ago

I think because he realizes that isn't a long-term solution to the problem and may not be possible even with Democratic majorities in Congress and the Senate.  Fighting dirty might be satisfying in the moment, but fighting smart is how you end up with a sustained and overwhelming victory.

If the ACA is important to you then the best safety net for that is having a Democrat majority in the House and Senate to quickly address legislatively any issue the Court may have with the ACA.

Ultimately I think most Americans would like to see politicians conducting themselves with some degree of credibility and honoring the promises they made in the past.  The Republicans have ceded a great deal of their credibility in the last three and a half years and it's one of the reasons they may lose this election.  I think Democrats would do well to learn from the Republican's mistakes and maintain the higher ground.  Respect the current makeup of the Court, even though the confirmation of Barret was gallingly hypocritical, it's not Barrett's fault she was nominated and confirmed in such a haphazard way, and use that as an example of the stark differences in ethics between the two parties.

That's how you win independents and consolidate your majority.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you make us political slaves we might just decide to kill you for it. Go ahead though, make it impossible for anyone to win except you all while claiming you have merit to rule over anyone. 

The ACA was passed against the will of the people. Go back and look at the polls and look at where the support was coming from. Not only was the support focused around liberal areas, but the bill never had over 50% approval on national polls.

Are you really willing to pack the court for a government licensing issue like gay marriage? What is so appealing about having the government involved in your relationships? You realize that the LGBT only ever cared about the government benefits, right? 

On that note though, Thomas and Alito want to redo the gay marriage ruling, but of course it will need to be challenged first. Even if it does though Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Gorsuch will rule in favor of it. If there is one thing those three clowns can be relied on it's to rule in favor of liberal ideology on big issues. 

• L.F.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's too bad you hate the Constitution's entire concept of representational government.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I will be honest. I ******* hate centerist because they dont fight the Republicans. They try to have tea partys and pretend to be friends with them like ******* idiots. And now every progress made is going to be taken away. 

• Ryan
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

I'm a democrat, and I truly don't think Biden will pack the court.  It is too risky of a move.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

We need to change the court if we want democracy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.