Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 month ago

Will MLB get away from analytics ?

Snell should not have been pulled from the game. Analytics has no place in MLB. Martin, Weaver, Alston, Lasorda, Anderson, Williams, Dark, Tanner, Torre, Stengel and other Managers who’ve won World Series would have kept Snell in the game. Go by your gut not some computer or geeks. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

You don't want to overwork your pitchers, but come on!  It's not like you had to save his arm for the next game!  Can you imagine Jack Morris being pulled out of the 1991 World Series Game 7 due to a high pitch count???  

• 4 weeks ago

Depends what "metric" you are looking at.  Using stats to determine infield shifts will continue to be a constant.  Metrics will continue to be used to scout new talent and trade prospects, because it's the lazy man's way to scout while doing CYA: "I recommended the 5 guys with highest velo's; not my fault they didn't work out."  The Snell/Cash thing about "statistically hitters do much better the third time around against a pitcher" probably will be a batter-by-batter decision, except for the most slavish front offices.  The Dodgers probably won't admit it, but they won the WS this year because they deviated from their metric-driven approach of prior years, i.e., "We want everyone to hit long fly balls every at-bat even with two strikes, because, statistically, fly balls result in more HRs and fewer outs than ground balls."  The Dodgers scored a lot of runs this WS by just putting balls in play with RISP; something they didn't do in prior playoffs that they lost.   

• 4 weeks ago

I am going to say no, because the low-paid Rays made it all the way to #2 by sticking to the analytics. Furthermore, managers and club executives want to keep their jobs/maximize their incomes-so they are going to be conservative and thus play by the numbers. This is similar to the "prudent man rule" in investment management. 

The Rays provided a better return on investment in terms of their much lower overhead, than even the Dodgers. The "loser" Rays baseball professionals will be highly desired by other clubs if the Rays do not want them anymore. 

That being said, I see why fans might prefer guts baseball over data baseball. 

• 4 weeks ago

Baseball has been a statistical game for decades, analytics is the natural progression from statistics. You can't get away from the evolution of knowledge.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Any statistic is an analytic.  I know this is hard for people, but this means batting average, home runs, RBI's, ERA, saves...all of it in the bin.

I'm not sure what the right decision was, and neither do you.  What if they leave him in and he gets lit up?  

But let's play hypothetical: if a decision has a 1 in 9 chance of working, would you go with the 8 in 9 chance it won't work or the 1 in 9 chance it will work?  Try going with the 1 in 9 chance in the real world and see how that goes (hint- it will end badly).

Every single one of the managers you listed have had decisions blow up in their face.  They've failed.  They didn't use analytics because 30-40 years ago the information wasn't readily available.  

• 4 weeks ago

There's a lot of discussion about that after last night. Rather they do or not remains to be seen next season. Some teams probably will back off.

• bill
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Now managers like Cash can avoid responsibilities by saying a computer made me do it.

• No, the reality is Analytics is being used in all sports now, especially Baseball and all 4 Teams in The NLCS and ALCS are strong proponents of Analytics.

• 4 weeks ago

Probably not.... because just as many "talking heads" seem to be saying that analytics is what built the Dodgers....and what allowed the Rays to get to the World Series in the first place.

What's more, the Dodgers clinched the Series using the dreaded "bullpen game" model....using SEVEN pitchers, not one of whom makes over $2.5 million.... With more teams being owned by investment groups with a full staff of analytical bean-counters watching the "bottom line," I'm guessing a dozen other teams are drooling over the thought of never having to pay $20 million a year for a pitcher again.

• 4 weeks ago

You're overreacting in the opposite direction. There's A place for analytics. The information is valuable when used correctly.  It just should not be the only deciding factor.  Its a game played by humans.  As such there's A feel to a game.  A manager needs to balance the use of analytics with the feel for the game.  Cash ignored the latter and paid the price.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.